Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any other Chi owner(s) has/had this problem...

Peanut is 7 months old and he has lost many of teeth, including his bottom fangs..
He recently started to grow new top fangs before he lost his baby fangs, now he has double fangs and the new ones are almost the same size as the baby ones..
Is this a PROBLEM? Should I be concerned?
I was told he might need to get them surgically removed! Is this true?

I was wondering if I should start brushing his teeth

Please help this worried new mommy!!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
yes they are going to have to be removed. make an appt with your vet. and you should start brushing them, the earlier the better so he gets used to it being done. it won't help the problem with adult tooth growin with he baby tooth but it's still beneficial.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i agree it will probably come out with no problems and brushing should be started as soon as teeth come it. I have my pups already liking it, just don't use much of the paste. They think its a game now. Yea! we get to take turns chewing the brown bristly stick mamma holds and tugs for us. Yea!

Welcome! :wave:

·
Registered
26 Posts
This happened to Savannah. I had them pull it when she got her cherry eye operated on and her spaying. It was not a good day for her. But she is great now. It's no biggie. But it is important to get it removed.

steph

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im a bit confused...
Some replies said that they will eventually fall out, while others said I should get them removed...
So I guess I should wait a few months and then if they dont fall out get them removed?

Does anyone know where I could buy the tooth paste and tooth brush?
I tried going to Petsmart and the tooth brush is huge. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
He will be fine dont worry, chances are they will fall out after a while....

He is a cute dog, looks like a sweetheart

Cody says he's his newest most bestest friend....

I Love you

:lol:

Tubicular

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeh, I have read this can be a problem. Chili's bottom teeth popped out on their own, but his top teeth were a little more stubborn. We just made it a habit to wriggle them every day several times a day. One of them came out pretty quickly like that, but the other was really stubborn. Well, I talked to our vet who said that since the tooth was loose (it was really loose, but still connected to the root) to give it another week, and if we couldn't get it out then bring him in and they would pull it. It would have cost $130 for them to pull it. We kept working on the tooth and one day, POP -- out it came. Just like when you were a kid, wriggle the tooth alot and you may be able to save the vet bill :D

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
our dental technician (who is awesome and specializes in animal teeth) says that you don't have to use a tooth brush, just wrap your finger with gauze and put the paste on it. then just rub their teeth and gums with your finger. some animals hate tooth brushes (my tasha bird was 8 when i got her and never had her teeth brushed til i came along and hated the brush but tolerated my finger with the gauze.) you could try petedge.com for numerous supplies, dental stuff being one of them...

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: My Stinky..the one on my signature..had that problem too..I decided to wait and see..like somebody said, they know their teeth are loose and play around with them everyday.. :D I caught Stinky playing with his loose fang and I did a bit of help.. :wink: I kinda yanked the fang it was hanging by a thread :wink:

:wink: I'll say don't worry too much..check his progress and if it takes too long for them too fall then you probably should have them pulled..about the toothbrush..baby toothbrushes are great and cute :D there is also this little rubber finger cap that has little rubber bumps you can use too..I've seen them at Petsmart and at a few other pet stores.. :wave: Good Luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank You all for your help and suggestions...

I am going to try the rubber finger cap because I dont think Peanut will like the tooth brush very much :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts