Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where to begin with this but here goes.

Sadie my little female has started peeing on my bed and won't stop no matter what I do? I had her litter box trained and she was doing great with it but here lately she just went out of heat she has been using here litter box as a storage box and insists on peeing on the carpet and my bed. At first I thought it was because my wife and I were both out of the room and she was having anxiety problems so we started putting her in the bathroom whenever neither of us were in the room but here lately when we are asleep she pees with us asleep in the bed so I know it isn't anxiety and she hops off and on the bed just fine and will play fetch that way forever. Is she too lazy to go to the litter box? is she having some kind of false pregnancy thing? I have noticed that her stomach has gotten a little larger and her teats have been a little more pronounced.

Also we had a small male chihuahua that she used to play with all the time but due to personal reasons I had to find him a new home. Could she be rebelling? I have been reading everything and I don't want her to be lonely but it seems I will have to make her bed in the bathroom I'm not sure what else to do.

Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
My friend just went through a similar thing with her adolescent border collie. He was peeing in her bed and nowhere else.

The vet and a trainer both told her it is most likely a dominance issue. With the heat cycle though, it could be a lot of things. I have never had a female dog, so I don't know anything about the cycles and behavior. If her teats and tummy look larger, I would call the vet and ask their advice or take her in.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Her changes in appearance sound like a false pregnancy. Annabelle had one and we had to have her spayed. She would even take little stuffed animals to her bed and try to nurse them. When I took her to the vet she was even producing milk! :shock: I don't know if the false pregnancey would cause the peeing problem but I guess it is a posibility. I think I'd take her into the vet if I were you. Good luck! :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Did you rehome the male prior to your female being in heat? If not, had he been neutered? Is there any possibility she could indeed be pregnant?

I would suggest having her checked out by your vet in any case, whether it be false pregnancy or not. There could be several reasons why she has stopped using her litter box. I would start over with her housebreaking training from the beginning, and either crate her at night and when you aren't home, or put her in the bathroom with a gate, her litter box, food, water and some toys. I realize this is a lot of work and will require patience, but it may be the only way to stop this behavior. Maybe some of our other members will have some other ideas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was rehomed before she went into heat, I am thinking it's a false pregnancy too and I am going to start keeping her in the bathroom but it's hard because she is such a sweet and loving little girl and really clings on and gets her feelings hurt easily and she dosen't have her friend to keep her company anymore and dosen't like being alone.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Gweller26 said:
He was rehomed before she went into heat, I am thinking it's a false pregnancy too and I am going to start keeping her in the bathroom but it's hard because she is such a sweet and loving little girl and really clings on and gets her feelings hurt easily and she dosen't have her friend to keep her company anymore and dosen't like being alone.
I know it will be difficult. Do you have a crate? She might adjust better if you had a crate you could put by your bed at night. Then she would at least be in the same room with you.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
[quote="chimomI know it will be difficult. Do you have a crate? She might adjust better if you had a crate you could put by your bed at night. Then she would at least be in the same room with you.[/quote]

Or you could put her crate in another room (or in your bedroom) but take her blanket or bedding and keep it in your shirt a while before bedtime so she's got your scent all over it to keep her calm... maybe. :D

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Are you planning on breeding her?

If not, it would be better for her to have her spayed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts