Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really appreciate any advice your experiences can offer!
Poppy has become "anorexic" !! she has hardly eaten anything for almost 3 days..I dont know why.
When we first got her, she happily ate the puppy kibble for a while.Then, she started to go off it so i gave her the puppy wet food with kible mixed in. Then she wouldnt eat THAT, so I started to boil chicken breast..which was fine for a while...but now, she wont eat ANY of it!
I am always terrified that she will become hypoglycemic, yet she has an enormous ammount of energy.
Today when I got home from work, my housekeeper told me that Poppy had been shaking alot during the afternoon...when I picked her up I could feel it too. I checked her gums, which were a healthy red and she was fine when I put her down, she ran around and played as normal, so I dont think she was hypoglcemic. In any case I made her drink some honey and water with a syringe! I offered her some chicken, but she wasnt a bit interested...so in desperation, I made scrambled egg from one egg..and the little devil wolfed it down! Her poop is normal and she does drink.
So what am I to do?? She appears healthy and happy, apart from shaking for the first time today...yet I cant see how she is surviving...I dont give her treats so as not to ruin her appetite....HELP! PLEASE!!! I was told she should be eating 3 times a day at this age (15 weeks) I am at my wits end!! :(

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Dogs will sometimes go thru fickle periods here and there. Kemo has done the same thing. It is said that they wont starve themselves. I know there are old threads around perhaps you can see how others have handled it. It seems to be a controversial issue though with some. I would not worry if she is going PP and Poo then she is ok. You can always call the vet to get their advice too. Our babies can drive us mad at times that is for sure. Hope she is back to eating good again soon :wave:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kemo's mamma said:
Dogs will sometimes go thru fickle periods here and there. Kemo has done the same thing. It is said that they wont starve themselves. I know there are old threads around perhaps you can see how others have handled it. It seems to be a controversial issue though with some. I would not worry if she is going PP and Poo then she is ok. You can always call the vet to get their advice too. Our babies can drive us mad at times that is for sure. Hope she is back to eating good again soon :wave:
Thanks for that Victoria, it IS a worry! I will have to keep an eye on her :shock:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I have also heard that a dog won't starve themselves and that by changing food everytime they are picky will make them even worse.

That being said, I couldn't let my dog go days without eating either!! I don't know what to tell you, sorry. :( I have the opposite problem, my two are like little garbage disposals! They will eat up anything.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I can relate...Molly goes through fickle times. I think once they don't eat for a while, their tummy gets upset and then they don't feel like eating and it's just a cycle. If it's been more than 12 hrs since Molly has ate I will sit on the floor beside her kibble. She will come and sit on my legs and I put some kibble in my hand and encourage her. Usually, if I get her to eat one or two she finds her appetite and eats well after that. It's just getting her started. Or sometimes I will start her off with a treat I know she'll eat and then bring her over to her kibble. She's just funny that way and that's what I've discovered works.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
For awhile in the mornings I would sit down and hand feed Mikey and Kismet but w/ kids in school that was just not working out. I'm still glad I did it b/c niether dog is food aggressive. Anyway, back to my point, Mikey would eat well when I hand fed him. He would finish his whole bowl. Now that I don't sit w/ him he does eat way less. I sometimes leave the food out for him b/c I find when I do that he'll pick on it through out the day so I feel better. I hope you can find some way to make her want to eat better. I know how worrisome it can be.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Sadie used to be picky with her food too...I would smash up her favorite treats until it's a fine powder and sprinkle it over her food. She would smell the treats and start eating the food. She is still picky but I just let her eat whenever she wants....I know she won't starve herself.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Between 3 and 7 months Auggie was a fickle eater too.He would eat this food then he wouldn't then he would eat something else then he wouldn't. I don't think he ever went 3 whole days without food but 3 days without eating much. He too would sometimes start eating if I hand fed him. I always gave him nutrical each morning until he was about 6 months old. They were times when I would scramble him an egg so he would eat something. He seemed to become less finnicky when he went on adult food and since he got neutered there is definitely no problem with his appetite. He doesn't think I feed him enough. Unless Poppy starts to seem ill otherwise I would watch her and keep doing what you are doing :roll:

·
Registered
810 Posts
I heard it was normal too as Lola sometimes goes a whole day w/just a nibble or 2. When she was little, I would add some extras to her food too, like bits of her treats and it really did work. I worry too. Now w/chico, I give him his food and mix a little bit of Sugar Puff cereal w/it and it helps keep his blood sugar up. The breeder told me to do this and I can tell it does help when needed.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your tips and advice..at least I can be reassured that its not only Poppy that is finnicky!
This morning she did eat alittle puppy food, as long as I sat with her, but mornings with kids are busy as most of you know! So this afternoon I bought a different type of puppy kibble and she ate a little of that too.
I can understand that keeping on changing her food will encourage her to be a fusspot, but it is so scary when she doesnt eat at all!
So I guess I will just keep an eye on her..she was still shaking this afternoon, but now i dont know if it was because she was cold, excited or hungry! :roll:
I wish these little horrors came with an instruction manual! :D
Thanks again :wave:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts