Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first we notice a couple of baseboards have been chewed. We have really tall baseboards and they meet at each corner with a decorative piece, so will be a bit more effort to replace.

Next we notice a couple of dressers that have little gnaw marks and some raw wood is showing through.

I was just sitting here paying bills and it got quiet (normally, they are in the living room zooming around me) so I went in the one guest room that we let them sort of own. We have a "ramp" up to the bed made of pillows and a couple of quilts and blankets on the bed that are just theirs (put my gorgeous bedding up for now!). They run up and down the ramp and play or nap on the bed.

Well, I walked in and saw them gnawing a big hunk out of the base of my cedar chest.

Needless to say, that room, like all the others will be closed off to them.

I would have expected them to do this MUCH earlier/younger or when we first brought them home and they were experimenting and testing things out.

I did not expect it at 8.5 and 9 months.

Help, tips, ideas? I'd welcome them all!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I have two little termites of my own :(
Jerry has eaten the corners from my coffee table.
Tabitha goes for the window frames. And, together
they ate a hole in the dining room wall and a hole in
the kitchen floor. My advice: a quiet Chi is a Chi that's
up to something!!!!

They did eventually stop; but, now Evie has to go through
those stages too! :hello1:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Get the bitter apple, Godric ate the corners of my baseboards till I put that on there and he didn't want much to do with it after that.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So they sound in good company. They are little termites!!

Is the bitter apple an oil, like an essential oil? Where might I go to find it?

Thanks!!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Interesting.. Lion is just turning 9 months and started chewing on our baseboards. I live in an apartment and I really don't want to pay for repairs. I tried telling him "No" and then giving him something appropriate to chew on.. I think I will try the bitter apple spray if he does it again.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I looooove bitter apple Lincoln is a huggge chewer since he's a golden -wish i knew that before hand -.-*

Anyways we used the spray and it was like heaven just make sure you reapply when needed sometimes the taste goes away and then another spritz and your good : )

If bitter apple doesn't work Cayenne pepper diluted in water was recommended to me once for your extra tough termites.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hmmm, Max is almost 4 months old and there's been no chewing yet.

Guess I have something to look forward to! :lol:

Hope the Bitter Apple does the trick!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Put dock tape so sticky side is out and put where they like to chew. They don't like the sticky and wont bother it anymore.
That probably isn't the best idea - there is no telling what is in that sticky.

I'd stick with bitter apple, imo. Hope it works Karen.

eta: ingredients are Water, Isopropanol 20%, Bitter Principles and Extractives.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I've used the bitter apple before, I can't even remember for what...but it worked for whatever I wanted them to stop chewing.

I've caught Leah knawing on a corner table once or twice and I got her to stop just by hollaring at her. My chis aren't allowed out of my sight til I trust their behavior and usually that isn't until they are well over a year old. Trigger only just now getting some freedom, same w/ Bryco, and both boys are almost 18 months old...just a thought lol. Don't let them have so much freedom ;)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Oh NO!!! Bailey did that too....chewed the corners on my Pottery Barn hutch:foxes15: I found out that puppies can go thru a 2nd chewing phase between 8-10 mos. I put vaseline and on the corners of the hutch and sprinkled it with chili powder. It worked.....and happy to report he did out grow it!!!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
That probably isn't the best idea - there is no telling what is in that sticky.

I'd stick with bitter apple, imo. Hope it works Karen.

eta: ingredients are Water, Isopropanol 20%, Bitter Principles and Extractives.
Dr. Marc Maron from Pet Keeping on Hallmark channel said to do the Duck Tape,he says he does it with all his pets. they don't like sticky so they wont chew.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
we have no corners left on anything wooden, im not going to repair them until amber is at least a year old
we found rubbing citronella oil into the wood stopped them, but the go back when it wears off so has to be repeated,

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wish i heard about these tips before Locco were chewing on all my chair legs :). So off to the store to by some sand paper so "fix" the chewing marks (aren't that bad yet), some varnish and BITTER APPLE :-D

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Gracie never chewed on anything until she was about 10 months old. I thought we had slid through that stage uneventfully, until I came home one day to a HUGE basket ripped into a zillion tiny pieces.

Fortunately, she hasn't chewed on any furniture...She's mostly a flip flop thief...All my straps have tiny teeth marks in them!

Thankfully, she only does this when unsupervised and bored, so crating her when we're gone resolved the problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts