Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP PLEASE!
I'm new here and need some help.
I have a Chihuahua who will be one on the 28 of Feb. I took her to the vet because I found a small bump, with a small red tint to it above her front lef. CLose to her shoulder/neck area I guess you can say. The vet didn't seem worried about it. said it could just be a fatty build up because it is not attached to the body. Also when you touch or squeeze it she is no pain.
Latley though I have noticed she has lost some hair. On top of her head around the ears, also on her joints going up her legs. Her chest is also bare but she has been like that since birth.
She is still really active, eating well, and has solid poo and is peeing normal.
Has anybody had anything like this happen?
help, getting worried

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Help please

Hi all
Need some help, please help!
I have a 11 month old Chihuahua who will be one year on the 28th.
I took her to the vet a month ago because I found a small bump with a tint of red to it. I found it right above her front leg. I guess you can say below her neck close to the shoulder. The vet didn't seem to worried about it because it is not attached to the body, more so the skin. Thus, he thinks it to be a fatty build up. She is in no pain when you touch it.
Recently though, she has started to lose her fur. On top of her head around the ears. Also, on some of the joints, and going up parts of her legs. She also has no fur on her chest but has been like that since birth.
She is still very active, loves to play and run, still eating normal, her poo is solid and her pee is normal. Does anybody have any advice on what this may be?
help help help, getting worried
thanks sooo much

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I do think you should go back to the vet. I doubt the lump is serious, since that's already been checked, but do get the hair loss looked at. It might be mange, or any number of allergies.

It's good that she is normal in every other way...hopefully it's a case of allergies and a food switch might fix it all.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
hairloos can be caused by colour dilution alopecia, (what colour is your dogs coat) mange or liver and kidney problems. head to the vet for a skin scraping to rule out mange, and a blood test to rule out internal issues that could be causing it.

allergies can also cause hairloss, remove all corn from her diet and put her on a super premium food, preferably chicken and rice or lamb and rice and see if that helps, but its not as likely as somehting like mange.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice.
I also reposted this under the name Ice Princess because I had forgotten my password cause it has been so long. So I'll now be using this username, whenever I get time to come on.
I will take her into the vet this weekend.
If I switch her food, do you know any brands? Right now she is only Royal canine. Any we slso give her some cooked chicken breast, ro cook lamb at times as a treat.
Do you think the solution might be as simple as switching the food?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I wondered how their could be TWO chis with the same problem! :)

It really could be food allergies...if she is absolutely fine in every way, start with a food switch. The thing is, mange can get away from you pretty quickly and then you have problems, so I would probably (if it were my dog) go back to the vet for a skin scraping. Did the vet notice hair loss when you were there for the lump?

When you switch foods, you might start with California Naturals (by naturapet). Google naturapet and you'll find all the good stuff about that food. We used it when Dolly had mange. We now feed the dogs Innova adult and they love it, have beautiful coats, etc...

There are lots of good foods for allergic dogs. Foxy is right...corn is often the culprit!

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
royal canin is actually a fairly good food so im not sure it would be food allergies (food allergies tend to cause itchy feet rather than hairloss.)
id get the skin scraping done first
if that comes back clear gor for a bloodpanel, have them take extra and get an allergy pannel done, that way youll know exactly what shes allergic to.
california natural is probably the best food for dogs with allergies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again
I will take her to the vet this weekend and have them do a scrapping. He did notice abit of hair lose. At that time it was just a bit at the ears. He said at that time it was normal for some dogs to loose a bit of fur around the joint areas.
Is mange serious? How is it caused and is there anything i can be doing different right now.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
mange is simply a parasite, they can pick it up from the garden, other pets, or could even have it and it lay dormant for years. its nothing youve done and theres nothing you can realy do to change it. its just simply a parasite that gets into the hair folicles and under the skin, it causes hairloss, dry itcyness and sometimes red blisters.
if it is mange the vet will do a medicated bath that day, youll bring her homes, (some will also give you medication) then in about a week she'll go back have another medicated bath, again home and once again (theyll usually give 3 baths) some vets will give you the shampoo to bring home, it all depends on the vet.
the good thing about mange is in its early stages its fairly easy to treat and usually clears up quickly. after the parisite is gone her hair hsould start to slowly grow back.

good luck, let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I took Bambi to the vet over the weekend. The bump that I was feeling has turned out to be her microchip from when we got her fixed. Go figure lol. As for the hair loss...They didn't do any skin scrappings, but said right from looking at her that it was from an allergy. Just because the hair loss is followed by red dots, just like a rash. He gave me some medicine she has to take twice a day for a week. We are also going to switch her food.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I hope she gets better. Royal Canin actually has several foods for dogs that have allergys but you have to get them from your vet.

When my chi had demodex she also had the red bumps. It was a bacterial infection, a common secondary problem with mites. If her hair loss gets worse I would take her back and insist they do a skin scraping or go to a different vet.

Where do you live?
The only allergy I can remember causing hair loss (other than the feet) is flea allergys. Dogs are sometimes allergic to the flea saliva that the flea deposits when they bite the dog. They end up getting sores, or hot spots, and the hair falls out where the fleas have bitten them. Sometimes a diet change can help, but it's not going to get rid of the fleas.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i agree with Ms P
food alleriges usually dont cause hairloss.
Theres 3 allergies ive seen that cause hairloss, Flea, Wool, and Chemical (flea control topical liquids, shampoos ect)
Food allergies usually cause itchy feet, and loose stools/constipation. but hairloss is NOT a common side effect of a food allergy.

as Ms P said, little red bumps are a usual reaction to the demodex mange mite, and while ive sen little red bumps form with all 3 of the above allergies, once again bumps/blisters are NOT a common reaction with a food alergy.

if your vet is SURE this hairloss is an allergy then i would ask for an allergy pannel to be done to find out WHAT your dog is allergic to, as said, this doesnt sound like a food alergy.

but honestly, keep an eye on it, i personally would be demaning a skin scrape (which is painless and will not scary if done properly (and should be done on an area that has missing hair))
if it is mange if not caught early it can be very difficult to get rid of.

if your changing the diet find a food with no corn! corn is the number 1 food allergen in dogs.

good luck!

edit to add:

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=23444&highlight=mange

click the link and take alook at the picture of the puppies belly if those are the little blisters your seeing your puppy has demodex mange and needs special medicated shampoo, id demand a skin scrape and if your vet wont do it, id be finding a new vet.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My vet told me you can not really know for sure if the dog has mange (or doesn't) without a skin scraping, so all the above advice is sound.

I have heard of dogs losing hair due to food allergies, but it's usually severe...coupled with allergies to everything else under the sun (grass, fleas, laundry soap, you name it). It can't hurt to change the food, but it also might need more than that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ashley, I have a 3 month old chi and she is the same way, very thin on her forehead and around her ears and chest. Has a patch on her back as well. And is itchy and dry. I too am taking her to the vet this wednesday! On her back it almost looks like babies cradlecap! I`ll see I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts