Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Kemo has been flaking and losing hair...no biggie probably shedding. Today I see his hair is missing off his ears, so I call my vet and he can't see him til Monday. I said forget that...I went to Petsmart Vet and they scraped his ear and said there was no signs of mites but she wants him on Cephalexin anyway. I said for what? She said even though she can't see mites on the skin he may still have them and this will prevent a secondary infection (scratching etc). I am so not into over medicating BUT I am wondering if I should give it to him. I am nervous, confused etc. He is not scratching any more than normal but his ears are all raggedy looking now. You can easily flake the skin off and little (5-6) furs clumps of hair come off. She told me to put Neosporin on his ears in the meantime.
What do you guys think I should do???
His flakes on his body have been bigger than normal. I bathed him about a month ago w/pupppy shampoo. he gets an EFA oil pill everyday.

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MO, I was reading whatever I could on line. Nothing really answers me. I just don't like the antibiotics. I decided to half the meds and give it to him for 10 days. I don't think he needs the whole 250mg for 7lbs of dog. I also want to make sure he has no re-actions to it. I bought some shampoo for flaky skin etc, I will bathe him tomorrow. I wish to heck they could talk. He acts ok and isn't really scratching but the flaking is driving ME crazy more than anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts