Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I started Bentley on raw last week, he loves his meal times now.

Long story short, he is partial to a nice butt scratch however since switching to raw he has drove me mad at night time specially getting up and scratching his behind on the carpet and nibbling his back legs.

This morning i have woken up from a sleepless night to find he has carpet burns (not severe currently) from where he's been rubbing it.

I know dogs go through the detoxing process which can cause them to be itchy, but surely not this itchy? (to the degree of hurting himself)

I have been feeding him only chicken breast, the odd chicken wing to ease him into it, is he allergic to chicken? or just the detox?

Sorry im really concerned i want to improve his health which is why i began feeding raw but i'm not sure what to do now? I haven't given him his breakfast as i don't want to make things worse if it is the chicken he has an issue with.

Thank you all in advance if you can at all help.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I really don't know. Did you feed him a chicken based kibble? Give him a little benedryl for the itching for now. I'd use some coconut oil on the raw areas. There are experts on feeding raw here, maybe they could chime in?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
DON'T give Benadryl!!!!
Susan's advice is great if you are in the USA but UK Benadryl has a different drug entirely.

It could be detox, or it could be a sensitivity to the chicken, or even what the chicken was fed on.
Introduce a second protein (assuming his poos are good) and gradually phase out the chicken, see if that solves the issue.

Also check his anal glands, discomfort in that area often causes the dog to bite the base of the tail etc

(Could you please not use enormous fonts in future? I have changed it back to a reasonable size. Thank you)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Its strange isn't it, that we have a product with the same name but an entirely different active ingredient. UK Benadryl contains Acrivastine, and I have no idea if that is safe for dogs. USA Benadryl contains the anti-histamine Diphenhydramine, which is definitely dog safe.
I know some people give Piriton, which is chlorphenamine, a drug that vets do prescribe for dogs. I don't think it is quite as safe as diphenhydramine though, I wouldn't give it without consulting a vet first

1 - 6 of 6 Posts