Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya.
Pepi is my male Chi, and he weighs way too much for a Chihuahua. He snorts and grunt because he has trouble breathing, and i really want to fix this. I sorta ignored it at first, beofre I heard him snort and stuff. He walks for shorts periods every weekend. And he only feeds at night, and he doesn't eat much. I make sure of that.

The other night I dreamt he died next to me - Now this really frightened me. So I want him to lose weight asap beofre my dream turns to reality. Some tips would be much appriciated, I was almost in tears watching him.

Thankyou.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I would feed him in the morning so that he is awake long enough for his matabulisum gets to digest the food better..

If you feed him at night his matbulisum is already starting to slow down for the day...

They are like people in that aspect.

good luck

·
Registered
634 Posts
I was going to suggest the same thing. Try feeding him in the morning and that will help give him energy for the day, plus he'll burn off more calories.

Good luck!!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Yes try giving him 2 small meals one on early morning and one on afternoon - then take him a walk on an evening - in your previous post you said you walked him an hour each day so thats really good - I dont know why hes not loosing weight if he gvets an hour a night its really confusing - maybe speak to your vet and get some diet food for him.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
you can talk to your veterinarian about putting him on a diet. you should make sure he is in good health before starting any weight loss program and the veterinarian will be able to set guidelines, how much to feed, how much he should lose altogether and how much he should be dropping at a time.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
My question is the same as some others How old is he and what is his weight. I agree with feeding two smaller meals and not at night. They do make diet and senior dog foods. Also I would try to make sure he gets at lest half an hour walk every day. :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
in a previous post she stated she walked him for ONE HOUR each day - so i wonder if maybe you should see your vet as it could be metabolic :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Ozzy&Lily'sMom said:
in a previous post she stated she walked him for ONE HOUR each day - so i wonder if maybe you should see your vet as it could be metabolic :wave:
i agree she needs to consult with her vet about any changes in his diet and excersise program to rule out possible health problems that make them overweight....

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
lol but is she carrying him most of the way. y moms chi is a purebred shes 13lbs diets didnt help its just her structure. I am assuming she had large parents or grandp

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
well before in her previos post she said that she WALKED him for one hour each day - so I dont know what to think lol my 2 would die if I walked them for an hour each day :D :lol:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Feeding at night rather to morning is worse because the chi won't be burning off the calories it's consuming. Everyone has suggested feeding him in the morning, which you should, and exercise, which you should also do. During exercise work at the pup's own pace and pretty soon he'll build up his energy and strenth again for walking. it just takes steps at a time so don't worry about it! Snap and I send our love and luck!

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes. I'm very confsuing. I must've made a typo, I usually take him for an hour each day. But that faded since I went to high school - Seeing as I drown in homework. These last few weeks being exam week, doesn't make it any better.

But thats a really good idea feeding him in the morning. I have no idea why I didn't come up with it.

Bindii still has puppy food - seeing as she is still a pup, hence the food. Now this seems to have attracted the other dogs who want it aswell. Thats probably how they gained it.

After Bindii gets older, they will get back into the purina one (sp?) diet food.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll take a picture of Pepi tommorow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts