Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Sorry, another weight question! Just wanted to hear your thoughts please...

Beau was born 10 Feb 2010 and at his 12 weeks vet check he weighed in at 3.2lbs (1.45kg). His mum is 2.1lbs and his dad is just under 4lbs. He's definitely not a fat boy at all but he is tall and quite long (have a peak at my photo album).

How much do you think he may end up weighing? Do you think we will always be able to carry him? Living in central London walking on the floor isn't always possible unless I want him squished!

Thanks
xx

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I honestly don't think his mum was 2.1lbs.. and bred thats tiny tiny where did you get him from?? Do you have any pictures of the parents?? Sorry not looked at your albulm yet. I live just outside of London.. Daisy walks on the streets here but if its busy i tend to lift her up for safety.

Weight wise double the 12 week weight and add a pound.. So he'd be 7.4lbs roughly.. there is no science to this weight business but from everyone on here this seems to be the best to determine their adult weight and is definately going that way for mine.

7.4lbs whilst is over standard for a chi its still a small dog.. less than an average human baby so yes you could carry him.

Im going to look at pics now

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Daisydoo and Elle.Bee - I got Beau from a breeder in Epsom. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the parents but I met his mother and she was tiny! Definitely smaller than he is now. I never met his dad but I do have a photo of him (below) - he's bigger than the mother for sure but without something in the photo to compare him to it's hard to tell how big he actually is

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with Daisydoo and think he'll be in the 7 1/2 pound range as an adult. I'd be REALLY surprised if his mom only weighed 2 pounds. It would be doubtful she could even get pregnant and carry a puppy at that weight. 2 pounds will fit in your hand. If you look up "jade" in the search box, you can see pics of TLI's little girl who is 2 pounds. That is REALLY REALLY tiny. It certainly would not be ethical to breed such a tiny girl. Most breeders aim for their brood bitches to be in the 5 pound range for safety and use a smaller stud dog.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
He'll probably weigh between 7 and 8 lbs. full grown. Still a small guy. Mom could not be 2 lbs., though. A female that size probably couldn't even get pregnant, and if she did she'd never make it through pregnancy and birth. 2 lbs. is the size of a young pup. She was probably more like 5 lbs., and they are just giving you a weight that they think she "appeared to them" as. :) That means Dad was a bit bigger too.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Dad above is about 6/7 lbs. :) Maybe even a tad more. Def. not 4 lbs. But it doesn't matter. The important thing is your baby is healthy. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
She may have meant 2.1kgs which still isn't as big as i would have thought but anyway some breeders are strange.. Daisys breeder told me mum was two... i found out through facebook she's 6 but anyway!! He's very cute

·
Registered
912 Posts
Dad above is about 6/7 lbs. :) Maybe even a tad more. Def. not 4 lbs. But it doesn't matter. The important thing is your baby is healthy. :)
Beau sure is a doll! I love his coloring.
About size, I would blindly follow TLI on any weight answers she gives! ;) In my short time here, I have noticed she has an amazing eye for guessing or predicting weight. haha. A 7lb doggy is still a small doggy. And in his blue/tan coloring, he'll ALWAYS be a head turner!!!!! :D

(P.S. Just having the comparison of LITTLE JADEY prego!...So scary! lol)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Nothing is impossible I guess. The mom could have been 2.1lbs but I highly highly doubt it. Did the "mom" you see look like she'd been feeding pups? It is possible they had a female they said was the mom (but wasn't). I don't mean to make your breeder sound like a lier - I'm just staying possibilities because there are some people who want to make you think you'll be getting a tiny TINY pup so you'll buy & pay more for them. Anyway, like I said anything is possible. If she is 2.1lbs & had a litter safely - it is still possible for the mom & dad to have larger puppies. Marley was probably the same weight as your pups at 12 weeks & he is now almost 9 months & weighs 5lbs 14oz. He's gained 7oz since 5 1/2m so his weight slowed WAY down & I don't think he'll weigh the 7+lbs he was charting as a puppy. Then again...he was a chunk as a pup! LOL

Saying that, the father pictured could very well be 4lbs. He looks pretty darn small to me & short in both height & length. My Maya is 4 1/2lbs & she probably looks closer to 6lbs in pictures. She's just fine boned.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
ok going to put my input as well in LOL.. rule of thumb is at 14 wks old double the weight for adult weight BUT this is not a for sure thing because sorry to say genes plays a part in the the adult weights he looks like he will be 4-5 lbs full grown. There is slow growing genes where it takes a while up to 2-3 yrs to be full grown and then faster growing genes that will be at there weight and just grow in size or other ways.
the picture of the dad looks about 5 lbs I would say mom was maybe 4 lbs but smaller boned. I agree if she said 2.1 in kgs than she would be about 4 lbs.
Your boy is stunning love his colors!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys, thank you all for your input! I love him to bits and as long as he's healthy I don't really mind what size he is but I am curious to know what he will look like when he is full grown!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
At last vet check my 15 week chi Cujo was 2 pounds and I could not even imagine a female that small being pg, it just seems absurd LOL
But anyway, I am posting to say there is a thread to show how tiny even 5 pound chi's can be, I'm pretty sure T started the thread. It would be a perfect one for you to check out so you can see how tiny even 5 and 6 pounds is (its a thread that compares chi size against people. Though there are also threads with them compared to pop cans and other common objects)

**Two of the threads are called....Help to show how small a chi really is...
and the other is....How to guage size from a picture...There is also one called comparison thread =)

to find them just type in size comparison in the search :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts