Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my friend's chihuahua this past thursday. It was perfectly fine, healthy, and active until this morning.
He slept in bed with me last night (used to sleep in his original owner's bed as well) and when i woke up this morning to walk him, he vomited three times.

I'd describe it as a white/yellow, frothy vomit. I'm fasting him for the day to see if he improves. What worries me is he's been shuddering all morning as well. I know that Chihuahuas will shake when they're nervous or excited but this is more of a shudder like it's cold or sickly.

Brief History:
For the last year, it's been living in a small apartment with my friend and hasn't gotten much exercise, I kind of pushed it yesterday by bringing him to a huge park with my girlfriend's dog. Cotto had an accident when he was a pup and skipped a step on the way down and injured his rear leg. My friend told me he had some sort of laser correction done on it but he will still limp with excessive exercise.

During the short walk we had this morning, he began limping not even two houses down from where we began and i'm guessing he's recovering from yesterday. (Lesson learned on my part.)

I'm really worried because he's still lively enough to respond when he sees me or family members coming downstairs but his shuddering continues and it's making me really sad to think that he's in some kind of pain and I can't help.

Please, if anybody can lend me any advice to a beginning dog owner, I greatly appreciate it. I've done a lot of research but still have tons left to learn. Thank you.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Have you had him examined by a vet? It's possible his limping is from an injury or patella luxation. If so, it won't get better on its own. What kind of "laser" treatment did this dog have?

His excessive shaking could be from pain. I'd have him looked at by a veterinarian.

His vomiting is another issue. Any number of things could cause that. But I'd definitely take him to a vet. Sounds like he has several problems going on and you need expert hands-on advice. Speculation from a message board is not the best move right now. There are times when you have to see a vet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am not a vet and I think you should definitely make an appointment to have him checked out.

Sometimes dogs vomit stomach bile (yellow froth) in the morning because they have an empty stomach and need to eat.

I'd describe it as a white/yellow, frothy vomit. I'm fasting him for the day to see if he improves.
So fasting him might not be the best idea. Feeding him a light bland diet might help.

Jenna

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Give him about 1/2 tsp. of honey, and then wait 30 minutes and feed him some boiled chicken, no salt. Later this evening feed him a regular meal. See if that helps. Sounds as if his sugars may be down. If that doesn't help, please see a Vet asap. Let us know how he's doing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Um, I'm not a vet but I think he needs to eat? Usually if I sleep in and am a few hours late feeding breakfast my dog will vomit bile. I wouldn't do fasting in your case...

Also you really need to get the limping looked at by a vet, preferably the same vet that your friend was taking him to.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I would not fast him at all, even if his tummy is upset I woud give boiled chicken. But I do think he needs a trip to the vet. Please keep us posted. I hope things turn out OK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts