Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, im looking into getting this chihuahua, its 11 weeks old and 1 pound, im having a little bit of trouble understand the size chart, so could someone help me, im wondering what size it might be as an adult. as i dont want something too small.

thanks for the help
have a nice day

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
If you go by the charts it looks as though it is charting to be around 2 1/2 lbs, problem is most do not go by these charts these days. Your very best bet is to go to a reputable breeder that really knows their lines as they can tell you better what size your pup will be. Also looking at the parents and grandparents to the pup will help a little but still isnt fool proof. The breeding these days is all over the place so there is really know way to tell completely.

There is another (again not fool proof) way to try to calculate but I am not sure what ages to use then multiply and add 1 lb but I am sure someone will chime in with that soon ;-)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The weight charts are notoriously low on their estimates. As Michelle pointed out, your best bet is to look at the lines behind the pup you are considering. Size of the parents and grandparents can give you a good guess - but in the end, it's still variable.

A typical formula is to take the age at 12 weeks, double it and add a pound. That might get you close.

Also, be aware that some breeders will 'guesstimate' on the size of their puppies. That's REALLY common. So they might tell you the puppy weighs 1 pound, but when you take it to the vet, it weighs 2.5. If you are really concerned with size, take a scale with you or have the breeder weigh them on a scale in front of you.

There are some people here who are really good at estimating size from a picture. Do you have a picture of the puppy?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts