Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Maya is about 4 1/2 months old and for the most part, potty training is going pretty good. I take her out constantly throughout the day and we pretty much have no pee accidents in the house. Her problem is poop accidents. When Maya successfully goes potty outside, she gets a lot of praise and a small lick of peanut butter as a treat. She also seems to know what I'm asking when I ask, "Maya, do you need to go outside and go potty?" She gets really excited and is ready to go out with me. I will wait outside with her for quite a while, and she'll pee right away, but then go around smelling and never goes poop, unless it is her first trip out in the morning. No matter how often I take her out, I'm finding poop piles in the house. I know I'm not supposed to discipline her for having an accident, but how do I encourage her to only go outside, and to let me know if she needs to go out? I want her to understand that the only place to go potty is outside. I don't want to use potty pads at all, I just want to train her effectively to go outside, since I am a stay at home mom and am around to take her out as needed. Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I don't know what it is about chis wanting to poop inside. I tell Midgie when I take her out to poop & she knows what I mean. She does go outside for the most part but every now & then she'll go in the house & she knows I don't like it. I'll say "What did you do? Bad girl! You go outside & do that." I don't put too much discipline into it because they're not messy poops & they're easy to clean up. She's 5 & I still excitedly praise her when she does go outside.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts