Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went with my sister to look at chihuahua puppies and they had an adult for sale "because she wouldn't get pregnant". I ended up taking her because this wasn't the nicest place and I figured I could have her vetted, spayed, and place her in a new home (i'm experienced in rescue). That was about 2 weeks ago - she is now obviously pregnant, probably about 7 weeks or so. She is going in for an xray on Monday to find out how many and to find out if she'll need a c-section or not. She is about 4 1/2lbs and the male that was on the property was about the same weight but with a larger head. I'm just looking for some tips, suggestions, warnings, etc. I'm experienced in whelping large breeds so I know the basics, I would just like to learn more about the specifics of whelping chihuahuas. Returning to the breeder is NOT an option.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
We have a few breeders on here that could give you some advice... I just wanted to pop on and say I admire you for taking on that challenge. We need more people in the world like you!! :wave:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cooper! It is exciting and scary all at the same time. I really can't wait until the vet appt on Monday so I hope that some of the breeders can offer advice!
I forgot to mention in my first post that my brother and his wife will be adopting the little girl when this is all over and done with!

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Cooper said:
We have a few breeders on here that could give you some advice... I just wanted to pop on and say I admire you for taking on that challenge. We need more people in the world like you!! :wave:
yes welldone, im sure advice will be on its way!

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
wudjah said:
Thanks Cooper! It is exciting and scary all at the same time. I really can't wait until the vet appt on Monday so I hope that some of the breeders can offer advice!
I forgot to mention in my first post that my brother and his wife will be adopting the little girl when this is all over and done with!
a great home already :wave:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Cooper said:
I agree... no matter what happens you helped get the pregnant chi out of a bad situation and bad home... I will never understand how some people can see their dogs as nothing more than $$$. I commend you too for what you are doing! Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Hello & welcome I just want to say I agree with everyone one else that I am glad you have the soon to be mom away from a bad place I hope all goes well Keep us updated :wave:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words Stefanie, O&L's Mom, P-Nut, and Auggies Mom! I honestly didn't do much more then anyone else would have done. She was way too sweet to leave her there when they obviously didn't care about her! I know they would just die if they found out she actually was pregnant but I don't plan on letting that happen. Not that they could do anything about it - I bought her fair & square! I will definetely keep everyone up to date on what happens.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I don't blame you for not wanting the breeder to know she is pregnant. They don't deserve to know. I wish I could offer you some advise, but I have no experience in this.

Your vet should be able to help and give you some good advice when you take her in for her checkup. I hope all goes well - please keep us posted. Thank you for rescuing her. We would love to see some pictures.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
It was that little chi's lucky day when you walked into that home....thank you for taking out of that situation and taking such good care of her...she will make a very loving family member for your sister.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If you hadn't adopted her, imagine how many more litters she would have been forced to have once they found out she could get pregnant! Kudos to you!

I wish I lived closer to you, I would definitely adopt one of the pups when they were born.

:flower:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ask your vet many questions what are warning signs when she goes in, how long do you wait before you feel its an emergency situation. Chi's are unpredictable there are so many things you have to watch for such as Calcium crashes that can kill them. make sure you have a towel, scizzors, dental floss, a baby bottle for pups, and puppy formula in a can as a supplement incase there is a problem feeding, Nutrical and a bulb to suction mucous just remember squeese the bub prior to suctioning to release the air in it. Hopefully the only thing you will have to use is a towel. usually if you take temp. you can tell within 24 hours of delivery the temp will drop below norm. Im not a breeder but I have assisted with chi deliveries. I hope i didnt forget anything lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the kind words guys!!! Thanks especially to Cooper for that wonderful site!!! I think I am even more worried now though, LOL! My vet appt is for early afternoon tomorrow so hopefully he can answer all of my questions.
And Janiesbabes, thanks for the information - I'm going to start making my kit up tomorrow. I totally forgot about nutrical and will pick some up at the vet.
Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Hopefully, you and your girl won't have any reason to be worried. You are obviously dedicated to her health and the health of her puppies, so just enjoy the pregnancy and watching her prepare in her own way.

One thing I might want to caution you about is the people on this forum (me included) will hunt you down if you don't post pics of momma and the pups. We can be pretty vicious when prompted. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts