Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am a total newb to this but Peebo has been acting really weird around Princess lately and last night she was trying to mount him so I was telling my friend at work this and he said she was in heat.
Ok I have never had a female dog so what am I supposed to do? keep them apart Peebo is not neutered and I am not to sure if Princess is not spayed. I know I should have had this done but we were really not planning on a second dog and I have it planned for next month but what can I do in the mean time?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
she may not be in heat - is she showing any other signs (noticed any blood around? thats usually the most obvious one, but sometimes you dont see any!)

I'd keep them apart until you are sure she is in season, it may be that she is showing her dominance over him.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I noticed some blood a few days ago on the sofa and she looks pretty swollen back there and she's licking it alot.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
yeah - Id say she is in season then! Keep them apart from now on until shes finished with her season. If you dont show or plan to breed it'd be a good idea to get her spayed after her season or him neutered asap - its far easier than trying to keep them apart!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wow really? ok so I keep them apart for a month can she still get spayed if she is in "season"

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Can you have someone keep Peebo until Princess is out of heat? If not, you are going to have about 3-4 weeks of work.

If Princess is swollen and draining blood/clear, then yes - she's in heat. She will be looking for a mate and she will be very determined to get bred. Peebo will lose his mind. (I'm not kidding.)

In order to keep them apart, I recommend keeping them in separate rooms, in crates, with the doors CLOSED. Determined dogs can breed through a chain link fence. They can certainly breed through a crate or break out of one. Princess and Peebo should NOT be in the same room together for the next 3 weeks. Seriously. I know it sounds harsh, but preventing a pregnancy between two intact dogs is hard work. They will try anything to be together.

Expect Peebo to go off his food, forget his housetraining, and to lose weight. He will pace and cry. This is normal. Expect Princess to be more emotional, clingy, and to fall in love with every male in the house, including other species.

If this were my situation, I'd book Peebo in for a neuter today. Or I'd board him. You CAN prevent an accidental pregnancy, but it means NEVER EVER letting your guard down. They can tie (mate) in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Some vets will spay while a females in season but most insist you wait til a time after shes finished (our vet says 2 weeks after), as spaying while shes in season can cause excess bleeding - Personally if it were me i'd get your boy neutered within the next couple of days if at all possible!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Oh wow really? ok so I keep them apart for a month can she still get spayed if she is in "season"
Most vets want to wait about 4-6 weeks after her season is over for her hormones/uterus to get back to normal. During this time, be very aware of drainage starting again, a foul odor, or even just general lethargy and not feeling good. All signs of pyometra which is a serious and often fatal infection of the uterus. But if all goes well, you should be able to book her in for a spay around the beginning of March. In the meantime, get Peebo neutered. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I will just say that EVEN if you get Peebo neutered today or tomorrow, the first 2-3 weeks afterward, he could still potentially get her pregnant. I've been told it can happen, and that it does.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I will just say that EVEN if you get Peebo neutered today or tomorrow, the first 2-3 weeks afterward, he could still potentially get her pregnant. I've been told it can happen, and that it does.
Definitely. He can still have sperm alive in the tubes. They tell this to men who have vasectomies as well. ;)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
So...basically you're keeping them apart this heat no matter what. But the responsible thing to do is get Peebo neutered ASAP, keep them separate until she's done, then spay her :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
You've been given some good advice! It would be best for you to have your boy neutered and send him away for the 3 weeks they will howl for each other mark and find a way to get together!!
One thing I want to say for future people to this forum who are new dog/chi owners is PLEASe research before you buy a bitch whether you have a male or not because a male dog can sniff out a bitch in heat for 2 miles and people have found intact males on their doors!!

Puppies who are bred on their first season -accidents do and will happen CAN fall pregnant and CAN die from it!! Dogs tie in second literally you turn you head for seconds and they will tie and it just takes one!!

Get your animals spayed/neutered Males done at 6 months tend not to mark ad bitches before their first season cuts back risks of cancer immensely

If you still want to buy a bitch and not spay er until after her first season then please read up about their cycles and what to look for and expect I don't think it should be taken lightly.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Definitely. He can still have sperm alive in the tubes. They tell this to men who have vasectomies as well. ;)
omg i did not know this that is so crazy! Luckily Ninja was neutered years ago so any traces of sperm would be gone by now baby is insane with him when in heat luckily she will be spayed in the new year (still in season now).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Expect Peebo to go off his food, forget his housetraining, and to lose weight. He will pace and cry. This is normal
Yes that is exactly how he is acting, I am going to bring him with me to work everday and I have an appointment next Tuesday at the vet

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh one more question if Princess is spayed will she still go into heat???

·
Registered
912 Posts
Once Princess is spayed, she should not come into heat anymore. Zoey and Ziva's mama on here had a partial spay done with Ziva, so she still has her ovaries (I think? :)) and all those good hormones, but no blood and she cannot get pregnant. More common, though, is the "hysterectomy" spay, which means they take it all. :)

Good luck with keepin' them apart until Peebo gets neutered. Sending good wishes for his surgery! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts