Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Molly Pocket has been eating raw for about 2 1/2 days now. I calculated how much she should have and her first day, I did only a small amount and have increased over the last couple days to the appropriate amount. Today, she ate some this morning, some this afternoon and started to eat some this evening.

I am doing Chicken Neck for this first week, but I've been cutting it up since she's so new to this. I was watching her closely to make sure she didn't choke.

So, 2 problems here....first one is that tonight as I began to feed, I had our other dog out there who has been raw fed since we got her almost 2 years ago. She FREAKED with the other dog out there and attacked her. I screamed and went to grab the puppy, but she got a couple good bites in first. Puppy was screaming, I was screaming and my husband came running and I screamed to get the bigger dog away!!

SO, puppy seemed fine after she was done yelping. I checked her all out and she was fine it seemed. Then, I fed her a piece of chicken neck and she was chewing normally, then she swallowed and it seemed she was choking, but she was "coughing" so I knew her airway wasn't blocked. We tried to help her and she finally got it down, but it scared the crud out of me!

So, she was at school with me all day playing until about noon, and then she has been sleeping off and on since then. She just seems much more sleepy than usual. She isn't playing quite as much as she has the past couple nights and I can't tell if she's just tired or what. I'm a bit nervous. She also hasn't gone poop today.

SO, anyone have any advice? (I already plan to feed the dogs separately from now on). I'm just a bit scared for my new baby....anything I should watch for, or is she just tuckered out because she did have a very busy morning?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's an update. She's fine!! :) Apparently, the lethargy was due to the large amount of activity yesterday. Last night she went poop, but I couldn't update since I'm a newbie here and my post hadn't been approved.

For now, I will cut her food into sizes that she cannot choke on as well as watching her closely while she eats.

She's playing normally this morning, very energetic, and is back to her normal self! Whew...Im sorry for the scare, but I was scared. She's my new baby and I am just quite nervous about her and want to ensure she is happy and healthy! Thanks for having a great forum where we can post all about our babies.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Ok, good lessons learned here, even though it was scary.

First, don't feed them together. Raw is a high value food. Google 'resource guarding' and you will find lots of info on helping your older dog.

Second, feed bigger pieces so she has to gnaw and chew, not just swallow. Some people do start with chicken necks and do fine, but I prefer starting with cornish hen parts or chicken breasts. Necks are very, very bony and so they are constipating.

You have two choices on preventing gulping/choking... feed big or feed small. I prefer big as it forces them to gnaw and they get the benefits of actually working on their meal which is great for dental and also mental health. Feeding very tiny (pea sized) only if you have to. I like buying a one pound cornish hen and then whacking it up into about 8 chunks of meat with bone. That would be about 2 ounces each. Then let her work on it. Once you get past the first week or so, you can cut back on the bone to bowel tolerance and start adding in other proteins.

As for being sleepy... if she had a big meal, she'll be sleepy. I wouldn't worry too much about that. She should have a bowel movement today. If she strains to go, or if it is chalky or whitish, then she has had too much bone (chicken necks are about 90% bone which is why I don't recommend them, they are constipating). Feed more meat today and she should be fine.

Let us know how things are going!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am so loving this forum! Thanks so much for all the information! She has done great today, and yes, she's had too much bone for the last couple of days, so today, I added some turkey heart in to give her some meat. We are going to get the Cornish Hens to try tomorrow. I agree that the bigger is better so she has to work at it, but it honestly scared the poo out of me when she choked and I panicked (giving her the tiny pieces)...

I am so in love with my new little baby. Our other dog was groomed today, so I am definitely going to take them out for some pictures this weekend.

Thanks again for all the wonderful information!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
We are all on a learning curve here. I'm glad to help! Sounds like she's off to a great start. Keep up the good work. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts