Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just gave fiddle a half chick wing and she chewed it for a lip nd then swallowed it :( is that normal. Or ok? I'm stressing out major!!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Don't panic they generally chew it enough to get it down the hatch if it's too big they hock it up chew some more and swallow!! Try holding it for her next time

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank god! I definately will hold it next time

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Have a look on you tube at raw videos they always gag on it both mine do the only time I worried was when daisy was teething coz she cried

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
So Fiddle is a gulper. Good to know. Next time feed bigger pieces and hold onto it so she learns to settle down and gnaw on her food. Some dogs never learn to eat 'nicely' and will just gulp and swallow their food in seconds. It's OK. It digests. Their stomach acid is super strong. No worries except that it doesn't give them the chewing benefits when they gulp it down.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Ziva has gulped a few bones down, but she doesn't do it all the time, she hasn't had any problems digesting them though. I have to hold Shellie's bones, my golden retriever or she will eat them whole especially chicken quarters, some dogs are just prone to 'stupid' eating as one of my mentors calls it. She has rotties and she said they are the stupidest eaters :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Ohhhh I've been there & done that! Our first raw feeding Matilda swallowed an entire chicken neck whole. (it was about 5" long & 1" in diameter) I thought for sure she'd be needing surgery to remove it. She didn't & was perfectly fine. But yes...with her & Milo (and Marley later on) I had to hand feed them for a bit so they got the hang of chewing. The real danger of gulping is it getting stuck. So if it's down--no worries! :) Her tummy will do the digesting & get those bones broken down. I posted a video not long about on a thread of my crews sixth day of raw. I was hand feeding Milo & Matilda I'd cut her neck into smaller pieces. If you want to see it search "MChis Raw" & it should come up.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohhhh I've been there & done that! Our first raw feeding Matilda swallowed an entire chicken neck whole. (it was about 5" long & 1" in diameter) I thought for sure she'd be needing surgery to remove it. She didn't & was perfectly fine. But yes...with her & Milo (and Marley later on) I had to hand feed them for a bit so they got the hang of chewing. The real danger of gulping is it getting stuck. So if it's down--no worries! :) Her tummy will do the digesting & get those bones broken down. I posted a video not long about on a thread of my crews sixth day of raw. I was hand feeding Milo & Matilda I'd cut her neck into smaller pieces. If you want to see it search "MChis Raw" & it should come up.
I almost died when I saw it was gone, and yes! thought for sure she would need surgery to get it out but she's been fine! haha her stool was a little darker then normal but thats expected with different food yeah?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Fiddle is a gulper. Good to know. Next time feed bigger pieces and hold onto it so she learns to settle down and gnaw on her food. Some dogs never learn to eat 'nicely' and will just gulp and swallow their food in seconds. It's OK. It digests. Their stomach acid is super strong. No worries except that it doesn't give them the chewing benefits when they gulp it down.
She was chewing or nawing (spelling?) on it for quite a bit, more towards the ends, before she swallowed it, so i guess thats how she got it down. she didnt use her paws though.... its that something they learn in time?

Ziva has gulped a few bones down, but she doesn't do it all the time, she hasn't had any problems digesting them though. I have to hold Shellie's bones, my golden retriever or she will eat them whole especially chicken quarters, some dogs are just prone to 'stupid' eating as one of my mentors calls it. She has rotties and she said they are the stupidest eaters :)
haha I'm hoping the stupid eating is just a puppy thing! haha the way she gulps down food you would think i didnt feed her!

I ended up giving her a little more chicken 2 hrs later, and I held it.... and she bit me haha, not intentionally i hope! but F me it killed!!!! I even cried it hurt so much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts