Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh no! My little brother let him out back [he's not allowed to run around because we don't have a fence] and when he caught him finally, Cheech started scream-whining and biting him! And when I took him myself, he did the same thing!! I'm really worried, because now whenever I try to pick him up or anything more than pet him, he does this. I'm very very worried! I don't know what's wrong. Can anybody help?

[if its any help, he has all his puppy shots, and he just finished his Lyme's shots yesterday.]

:sad5:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
how old is the dog?
Has he had any training yet?
Are you sure the dog is not in any pain?

It could be numerous things from just behavioural to maybe something is wrong...we need more info :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
How old is your puppy? If this is totally new behavior for him, it does sound as though maybe he is in pain from something. Maybe he was bitten by something outside, or maybe you brother unintentionally hurt him while trying to catch him or pick him up.

I would have a vet check him out. Let us know how he is doing, please.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Pixie is 4 months old now but when I first got her she used to do something similar to that. She never bit but often when I'd go to pick her up she would start squeeling for some reason. One time I went to praise her for using her litter box and she just flipped out. I still don't know why but she eventually grew out of it I guess. How old is your puppy?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You said:[if its any help, he has all his puppy shots, and he just finished his Lyme's shots yesterday.]

It sounds to me like he is really sore, probably from the shot and it hurts him when you pick him up. Try not to put any pressure on the area where the shot was given. He should be ok in a few days.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I was thinking the same as Jolie'sMom. Sounds a lot like a reaction to pain. I know when Angel gets her shots she is pretty sore afterwards and well yelp a lot when touched in the wrong spot. I would definitely take him in and have the vet check him over.

·
Registered
746 Posts
That's a good point about the vaccination. I didn't think of it when I first read your post, but Mo let out a yelp when I picked him up under his shoulders a day or so after his shot (he got the shot in the shoulder area).

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yep it could definitely be the shots.My Pearl was in pain when she got her second shot she would yep and bite especially mom.give it a day or two i am sure she will be fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
my boy does that every time he manages to get out without a leash and we have to catch him. it does sound like it could be from the shots, but if it happens again, it might just be attitude. i think it might be thier way of throwing a tantrum, like a child that doesn't want to come in from playing might kick and scream. but if they keep doing it and you think he's in pain then definately have a vet check him out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An update: thinking about it, that probably was it, because when we hold him, pressure is applied around his bottom, where his shot was administered. He's absolutely fine now, though, thank you all for your concern!

<333 lauren

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just watch for the behavior. Mine have grown out of it except for Bandit. And its his attitude and nothing else. He does not like to be held for too long and he does not like to go in his kennel at night and he will twist and bite and scream like nobodys business. He was very very small and when he was born he was not breathing. We worked on him and the vet said hes probably a little slow. But he knows he can throw a fit.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
8batch said:
Just watch for the behavior. Mine have grown out of it except for Bandit. And its his attitude and nothing else. He does not like to be held for too long and he does not like to go in his kennel at night and he will twist and bite and scream like nobodys business. He was very very small and when he was born he was not breathing. We worked on him and the vet said hes probably a little slow. But he knows he can throw a fit.
This is going to sound odd (well, maybe not to the crazy chi lovers we all are) but my sister has the same problem as Bandit. She was born not breathing, stayed in the hospital for about 2 months in an incubator and just had a really rough infancy... now, at 35 years old, she doesn't like to be touched and, good lord... she can throw a fit like nobody else.

I'm glad to hear he's doing better though - I remember you telling the story of the little guy and I know how relieved you are every time he throws a fit - it means he's healthy and has some strong lungs! LOL

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bandit really does know how to throw a temper fit. My husband can not reach down and pick him up unless he pets him first. Even if I just reach down and grab him, he will pop his top. He will also wiggle, bite and pee on you if you do not let him down when he wants. Like I said he sleeps in his kennel with the door open and is happy that way. Which is fine with me as long as he is happy. He wasn't supposed to make it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts