Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. :wave: My name is Tiffany and I am from St. Louis, Missouri. I love your list. I do not have a chi yet, however. I am in the process of searching for a chi to adopt for the past few months. I have contacted a few chi breeders and have not had much success. Hmmm, maybe it is because I ask a TON of questions and they just aren't interested in disclosing information in relation to their home environment, how long they've bred chi's, their dogs' temperments, etc., etc. I've come across a few "breeders" who were even more than eager to sell a chi to me without knowing anything about me.

I think I am so thorough about this because I grew up with dogs in my life. My mother used to breed toy poodles so I will admit that I have a discriminative eye, high expectations, and taste. :wink:

My question to you all is, I have searched on the list of breeders BUT I was wondering if any of you could give me any personal accounts of positive experiences (as well as negative) ones you've had with the breeders you've worked with?

I want to find someone who is an educated breeder of chihuahuas and breeds them in a caring fashion. I want a breeder who takes this seriously and makes the extra effort to answer all the questions prospective chi owners may have. I know there must be someone like that out there??? Where are they? Distance is not really an issue for me. If I find the right breeder and chi, I am willing to fly or drive into another city in the USA to pick up the chi.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I am in Florida, so quite a distance from you. I wouldn't recommend the breeder I got Jasmine from anyway.

If they don't want to take time to answer your questions and don't ask you questions, then chances are they are not a good breeder. Have you checked for a list of breeders from AKC? Also, if there are any dog shows within driving distance, that is an excellent place to meet a good breeder. They sometimes will have pet quality pups for sale, and they are usually reasonably priced.

If you aren't set on getting a young puppy, Chihuahua rescue organizations are a great source also.

We have members of the forum from all over the U.S., so perhaps one of them can help you out.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My breeder Connie, and her husband bob are the sweetest people i could have possibly come across. I email connie back and forth almost every day and she has been so great to answer every single one of my questions. She is always asking about bella and asks for pictures. I highly highly reccommend these people. And they dont ask outrageous prices for their pups!!! here is their website

www.chihuahuas4us.com

hope that helps! :wave:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i'm not all to familiar with breeding, but i've learned a lot on here and i have to say that the breeders on here would probably commend you on asking questions and educating yourself on what you're supposed to do when looking for a purebred dog. if these "breeders" you talked to get upset from all the questions and were not asking you questions, then chances are they probably are just in it for the money and could care less about screening you or anything like that.

i had a great experience with the person i got chico from. the breeder sent me home with a pamphlet of which shots he already had, a bag of food, and a health guarantee. chico is a pet quality chi, but his brother and sister were i guess "show and breeding" quality and they were only $100 more than chico. most people say stay away from breeders who advertise in the paper (which is where i found chico), but i don't think there's anything wrong with paper advertisers as long as the buyer feels comfortable with the breeder.

my advice would be to look in the classifieds section. i would stay away from breeders advertising "teacups" though. if a breeder is really serious about breeding a breed of dogs, and is doing it to better the breed and not just to make money, then they will have no problem answering any questions you may have, at least thats my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!

I would like to thank you all for your insights. I will definately keep your recommendations close to hand when I am ready to adopt a puppy by the end of the year. I'll keep you all posted. :wave:
Tiffany

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
http://www.breeders.net is also a good place to find breeders - just put in what kind of dog you are looking for and your zip and it comes back with breeders in your area. That's where I found the breeder I got Cooper from.
Of course, if you don't care about papers or bloodlines, http://www.petfinder.org will show you Chihuahuas at local shelters in your area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts