Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, with the girl's spay upcoming I was droning on about checking baby teeth and having their dewclaws removed. My husband seemed to merely be nodding along until I mentioned dewclaws.

He said that they do not have them, only their pads. HUH? I checked and he is right. There are no actual nails there, just the pad.

Our boy had them and we always just got them clipped with no issue.

So, is it that the nails have just not "grown in" yet or that perhaps they were removed by their breeders?

Can you help us clear this up? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
I had Chico's dewclaw removed when he was neutered.... he was 5 months.... He had a nail there...

he had very good drugs afterwards...lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody has them. I wish they were removed when he was a baby, as I agree with nic- they are a pain to keep short.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Pip has them, Roo does not.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Ivy and Fern have them, but Willow does not. They removed hers when she was a baby. I wouldn't bother removing once they are grown. I have a question, what is the reason for removing later, just for the safety purpose of not snagging etc.? Just curious.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm assuming your girls have already had them removed. They do have a "pad" in the back of their front legs. Their dews are just nails on the side...the dews themself don't have a "pad". :)

Fwiw all of my crew have dews. None have ever caused a problem. While not as easy as the rest of the nails to keep short...it's not that much of a pain. At least not so much that I'd have them removed. That's JMO of course.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks, all!!

I cannot see nor feel a nail anywhere near where I would expect them to be. Our boy had them and we just got them clipped with his nail trims. Only once did he get one caught on something and it broke it off really far down and it bled. I took him to a Vet up the street, they cut it and applied the bleed stop powder (the stypic stuff-I cannot remember the name) and he was fine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't see the point of removing the dew claw. I think it is unnecessary pain. I saw a cat have it's claws removed when I worked at a vet and the poor thing was in agony. The nail stuff is probably Kwik stop.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
is there a reason to remove them on the front paws of a short hair dog ? its not practiced here unless its a breed like a poodle , the only time you see dew claws removed on a short hair breed is when it is on the back legs where they are not meant to be and can cause injury ,I also think it is unnecessary pain to remove the front dew claws all mine have them and dont have a problem , we do have strict laws though including no tail docking and ear cropping anything really that makes the dog look different is illegal unless for health reasons .

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango has all 4 dew claws, Jazz doesn't have any. To answer the OP's question, a dew claw is more than a pad, there's an actual nail growing.

Dew claws are a pain. Tango occasionally gets his caught on things. Plus they curve much more sharply than the rest of the nails, making them much more difficult to cut. Tango has no issue with getting his nails taken care of EXCEPT for his dew claws. Every indication is that they're more sensitive than the rest of the nails, because he gets anxious when I have to clip them. I often just take a steel nail file to them and file them down. They're curved so sharply that I can't grind them like I do the rest of his nails, and even clipping them isn't as easy and I'm more likely to get the quick...in part because he's so anxious and won't stay as still.

I've looked into having his dewclaws removed. Oftentimes dewclaws are attached by just some skin and sinew. The kind of flop around and are a nuisance, and removing them, while uncomfortable, isn't a difficult procedure because you're just cutting through the skin and sinew, much as you would remove a skin tag from a human. But in Tango's case, they actually attached by bone. Which means that to have them removed is essentially an amputation. Look at your dog's foot, at his nails and toes. It would be similar to taking one of those toes and cutting it off, close to the nail. :( They would have to be done two at a time because he won't be able to walk on whichever of the nails are done, he'll be bandaged for a couple of weeks and in discomfort for a couple more after that. The procedure is extremely painful for the dog......understandably, as it's actually an amputation!

After consulting with two vets, I decided that I'm not going to do that. The inconvenience of his nail grooming is a small price to pay. If he were constantly catching them on things, tearing them, making them bleed, I might reconsider, but honestly the difficulties with Tango's dew claws are more the problems *I* have with his grooming rather than any issues he has with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts