Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just coming here to post this and saw a related thread by flippedstars.

Stayed home today with the girls. Hope is so excited that she is not giving Ruby a break! She is romping (sometimes on her head) and rolling (and sending Ruby spinning). She is always wagging her tail but she does the puppy play biting at her ear and she bats at her face. A couple of times Ruby called her bluff and had enough and batted or snapped back and Hope yelped and then backed off a bit.

I am working partial days for the next couple of days to help them transition. I am worried to subject Ruby (although they are really close in size) to being in the big play yard with Hope. My husband believes my separating them will make the transition worse/longer for them working out their power and play and learning boundaries.

My plan was Ruby in the play yard area and Hope in our big hall bath with a baby gate and all of the matched surroundings that Ruby will have in the play yard.

What would you do?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
If they are close in size, which I think you said they are, there isn't any use in separating them. Let them figure out how their social strata is going to work, or, it may never. Not all puppies are as strong/hyper/resilient, but Hope will never learn if that is the case with her sister or not if she isn't constantly exposed to what her new sister is like. I have some that sleep all day and some that play all day, and the ones that play all day always have a hard time understanding the sleepers at first. I say that you just have to let them work it out.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
If they are close in size, which I think you said they are, there isn't any use in separating them. Let them figure out how their social strata is going to work, or, it may never. I say that you just have to let them work it out.
Completely agree... since both are babies and close in size, they will work it out without any significant damage..lol
Both girls are such precious little ones..:)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright. I will try not to worry. They are very close in size and now tonight the battle looks very evenly matched!

Here is where they stay when alone:
North State Superyard XT Portable Playard and Gate - Walmart.com
It is like 5.5 feet and we have it as a square.

We have the nice rubber puzzle piece mats as the floor. They have beds, blankets, potty mat, food, water and the floor littered with toys. It was heated but I made my husband cut another vent and I have the heat up.

They will sleep well tonight-they have had just one nap and otherwise have run non-stop! They slept great last night!

Little is eating very well and I no longer have to add the warm water to the kibble! Finally got her to drink from the water bowl. It is the little things!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would actually separate them, myself. I totally agree with the thought that they need to figure one another out, but if you are worried that Hope might be inadvertently bullying or harassing Ruby, it might be better to let them figure one another out when somebody is home to watch them just in case things get too far. If something happens while you're gone, you'll never know what it was. Let them figure one another out on their own (and that Hope backs off when Ruby tells her what for is a fantastic sign that all is going to be well), but let them do it when you can observe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts