Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is what happened. On the 18th of last month Teddy got his leptospirosis (lepto for short) and his Bordetella shots. Everything went normal, but he was really REALLY sore afterwards, as he is after every shot because he is so small. Anyway, after he wasn't sore anymore I noticed 2 lumps had developed where he had gotten his shots. (one on his left side and one on his back right hip) I didn't really worry I figured it was just swollen. About a week ago I was petting him and feeling the lumps and they felt like hard little tissue lumps, but again they weren't bothering him so I figured I would just ask about them on the 20th when he gets neutered.

BUT today we were watching tv and I saw the one on his side was all red, like the skin is real red and it is like an open wound now. The hair around it is like standing up, and there isnt any hair on the wound. The one on his thigh is fine though. I don't know if he was itching it, or hit it on something or what, or if it just appeared! I tried to take him to the vet but they are closed today because its labor day, I tried three other vets, and the store I bought him from, all closed.
So I'm asking if any of you know what it is, and how to keep it clean until tomorrow when I can take him to the vet.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
587 Posts
im not sure what is wrong but i do know that you shouldnt give a chi pup two vaccines at once (thats what my vet told me i may be wrong).

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Is it in the same exact location as the bump after his vacs? If so, there is a miriad of things it could be. I don't even want to hazard a guess - but I'm glad he's on his way to the vet in the morning.

Here's the list of stuff I have for cleaning wounds:

Betadine Skin Cleanser (antiseptic liquid soap for cleansing on or around wounds). Use full strength to wash the area.

Betadine Solution (Antiseptic solution for flushing or soaking injured areas) - dilute with distilled water to the color of weak tea, then apply.

Neosporin - for preventing wound infection - apply 3-4 times daily

Witch Hazel is also an astringent/topical antispetic but it might sting... I don't know.

You may want to give him a little benedryl to either ease any pain/itching from the area and maybe bring it down a bit. I don't know the dosage for children's benedryl, but my book says you can give 1mg per pound every 6-8 hours of the adult Benedryl.

I hope he doesn't have anything serious wrong and it can be cleared up!! How horrible for the both of you! :(

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all so much! Just after an evening on every 3 hrs putting on peroxide and neosporin it is looking alot better

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
KtS257 said:
thank you all so much! Just after an evening on every 3 hrs putting on peroxide and neosporin it is looking alot better
don't overdue it with the peroxide. once it's cleaned and flushed real good all you need to do is wash the area 1-2 a day with gentle cleanser and put neosporin on it about 3 times a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts