Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had Mimi on raw food for about a week now. All chicken meat and she was doing fine. However, tonight she has been throwing up. A lot.

She threw up two huge piles that both had chicken in them and at least three other piles that we mostly liquid with pieces of meat.

This does not seem normal at all to me. Does this mean she can not tolerate this food ?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Since it has been about a week and this just started, I wouldn't think it was the diet for her. Make sure she is getting plenty of fluid (pedilyte or diluted gatorade) to avoid dehydration. Could she have gotten into something else? So many extra's hang around during the holidays (plants, food, objects etc...). I would keep and eye on her and if it continues visit the vet. If it seems to have subsided, try a bland diet, maybe chicken broth and some ground chicken or turkey. Canned pumpkin (maybe just a spoonful) might be soothing to the tummy too (I freeze my remaining pumpkin in ice cube trays for later--they come in very handy).

Good luck! And keep us posted...

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mel, I do have her on just broth right now and so far she seems ok.

I'm almost 100% sure she did not have any other food. I'm just confused because I've watched her closely and she did fine on the diet until last night. I don't know if I did something wrong or if it's just not going to work
for her or what.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If she's been on raw chicken for a week and doing fine and suddenly she stops vomiting, I'm not sure I"d blame the diet. Are you feeding anything other than chicken?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only day she has had anything other than chicken was Monday, I gave her a small piece of turkey liver. I watched her closely after eating it and she was fine. I've searched the house to see if I could find anything she got into and found nothing. She only goes out when I take her out and I watch her while she's out and I've been watching her even closer with the new diet just to monitor her BM's.

The only thing I can think of is if maybe my son gave her something that made her sick, or the diet itself.

Brodysmom - Do you think I should try starting her back on the raw chicken tomorrow ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did she vomit and act sick or vomit and try to re-eat? Sometimes my dogs will hork back up their dinner and re-eat it. As long they are acting normal and the vomiting is not continual, I let it go. Yeah, gross to let them eat it again but that is what they do.

When Spacely first started raw, he pukes back a few times but he stopped after a few weeks.

So, it depends on how comfortable you are. If you are sure she had nothing else, she is doing fine otherwise, I would feed her and see how it goes before I would blame the chicken.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She acted sick, she is a rescue and she still gets very scared everytime she has an "accident", so she would immediately tuck her tail and lay down on the floor. She did not try to eat any of it.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would let her tummy rest tonight and then give her just a small bit of chicken tomorrow and see how she does.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started her back on chicken yesterday, as of now she's had two feedings. So far no throwing up.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update - Mimi has not had any more throwing up, she is still on just chicken, even for organs, but she's doing great now!

Thanks to you all for your advice and well wishes :love4:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
that's great to hear! Good! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts