Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I'm new here and have had my 8 week old little boy, Tigger for two days.
My problem is that although he is happy enough going in his crate at home or at night. When I put him in it in the car, he cries all through the journey.
He cried all the way to and from the Vets yesterday and was no better today when I took him to the pet store.
These are only short bounties of less than 20 minutes each way. I don't want to leave him home alone so soon.
Can anyone suggest any thing that might help him settle down in the car? I LIVE in a rural area and will need to take him by car on regular occasions.
All advice will be gratefully received.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi,I'm new here and have had my 8 week old little boy, Tigger for two days.
My problem is that although he is happy enough going in his crate at home or at night. When I put him in it in the car, he cries all through the journey.
He cried all the way to and from the Vets yesterday and was no better today when I took him to the pet store.
These are only short bounties of less than 20 minutes each way. I don't want to leave him home alone so soon.
Can anyone suggest any thing that might help him settle down in the car? I LIVE in a rural area and will need to take him by car on regular occasions.
All advice will be gratefully received.
take a soft blanket and maybe a soft toy w him... I would always wrap mine in her blanket on my lap or in her Purse bag and it helped...she would love To go for rides but had to have her blanket... My new puppy has been ok I just started her out that way and i even bring her bed sometimes...oh and say you want to go for a ride? And say it in an excited voice.:)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I agree. But please don't carry her in your lap. An accident waiting to happen. Get her used to a little ferret carrying case, or a small crate and seat belt it. Just keep talking to the pup, and soon enough tigger will like rides!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Another thing to do is just take him in the car without going anywhere,give some treats and play with him, then after a few times just start the engine,more play and fun treats he'll associate the car as mentioned above as a fun place.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, as I am always in the car on my own, he has to be in his crate on the back seat secured by the seatbelt.
I will try putting his blanket in with him and keep trying short bounties.
Perhaps he will be happier once he is big enough to wear a harness that gardens to the seatbelt and can sit on his dog bed?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree. But please don't carry her in your lap. An accident waiting to happen. Get her used to a little ferret carrying case, or a small crate and seat belt it. Just keep talking to the pup, and soon enough tigger will like rides!
Oh yes! sorry I guess I should have mentioned I'm not the one driving when I'm holding her...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought a car seat or rather doggie seat. Put a soft blanket in the bottom and hooked the strap to Abby's harness. Added her favorite toy and a cookie. That seems to do the trick for her it gets her up high enough so she can see and yet she still safe.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
133 Posts
:) there are all kinds. I would sit him in it with a toy and maybe a cookie a few times and make it seem fun. I started Abby at about 12 weeks with no problem. I think they are happier being able to see out and not feel like they are caged in. LOL just like my kids, Abby usually falls asleep after a few minutes riding

·
Registered
945 Posts
I bought a little dog travel case from Pets at Home for £20. I have it strapped into the passenger seat with the side and the top unzipped. Frodo's clipped in, so he's quite safe, but he can sit up and see me. He has his blanket and a toy in there too, and is always quite happy. Hw whines if he's relegated to the back seat, though....

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Oh yes! sorry I guess I should have mentioned I'm not the one driving when I'm holding her...
Holding a dog even if you are not driving is not a safe option. Since most cars have passenger side airbags if you are in a collision the pressure from the airbag would likely kill a chihuahua and that is if they didn't go flying during a crash. I broke my hand once when I hit a deer and the airbag went off. I would hate to see what could happen to a chihuahua.
It is much safer for them to be in the back seat strapped in with a carseat or in a crate that is strapped in.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
My 7 year old pug still whines , loudly in the car, we have driven with her for 2 days from FL to NJ and she whined almost the whole time. She has her blankest her own crate. Now I have the snoozer seat and thought that would make a difference and it doesn't. Ike is good in the car and she drives his crazy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
if all of the above dosnt work, Is it possible the pup gets a bit of a belly ache from the ride. I used to have a pit bull who HATED short car rides. then one day we found out when we had to travel 2 hours, why, as he puked all over the car. he had never done that with shorter rides.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
We have been working with Jaxx. He does not care for the car much it has gotten better though. We make sure that if he is going into the car we take him for a walk around the neighborhood in order to make sure he does not have to go potty the least little bit. I think the car scares him but then the extra stress of having to pee or poo then he whines. Also we have noticed that Jaxx is whiny if the air conditioner in the car is too cold. So we try to keep it comfortable. In the past couple of weeks we have been looking at what is causing the stress and how to minimize it. Our last item that we are looking into is we believe Jaxx wants to be able to see where we are going so we are getting him a carseat probably for his birthday.

·
Registered
88 Posts
oh yea! that reminds me. we used to have a dog that was only quiet if we had a citrin type of music on in the car. what can I say, they all have there own personality.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update - I am please to announce that upon delivery of Tigger's new car booster seat, he sat quite happily for a short ride out this afternoon!
I had to use a ferret harness on him though because all the XS harnesses I have tried are still too big.
I'm really proud of the way he's settled in and thank you all for all the advice you've given.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts