Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My breeder just e-mail me that she is going to columbus tomorrow. And she is asking me if i want to have my puppy tomorrow. She will bring it to me and save me the drive (since it is 2 hours away)

However, he have not his second shot yet (so he is not protected by parvo virus). I never knew about this kind of thing but i know that it is a very dangerous virus. She said that i can either bring him back in 2 weeks to get his second shot or i can go to my own vet.

The question is that what i should be aware about this virus? Can he play with other dog (my friends dog (2 shih tzu and 3 dachshund, japanese chin).

I used to have a puppy in my house for a week like 1 and 1/2 month ago. Will that be allright for him to stay at my house before he have his second shot?

I knew that he can not play on the ground outside right? But he can play on the carpet right?

And does anyone know how much is the cost of second shot?

So all which one do you suggest, should i take the offer or should i wait until he is done with the second shot and get him..
I am very excited to get him tomorrow but i am afraid of the consequences.

So please helpppppppp

CONFUSEEEE

·
Registered
549 Posts
So, how old is this pup. Most generally in this area (NW US) puppies leave mommy, around 8 weeks, with maybe 2 wormings, but only 1 shot and a vet check. I am not sure why you are concerned about the second shot series. If you are that concerned, then you would be making an appointment with your vet to have the pup checked out ASAP after you get it. If I am placing a puppy in a home, I always recommend that the purchaser have them checked by their own vet. Especially if there are any questions.
Personally when I get a new puppy I never have them out and about until they have been checked by the vet and given another shot in the series. I really do not like a pup to be held and passes around by everyone, I think that it is sort of comfusing to the puppy-makes it hard to bond with you, too overwhelming.
If you are concerned about outside-because the parvovirus can live in the ground for years, then puppy pads are in order, which is a necessity anyways, until the second shot....hope this helps, may add more questions.... :wave: :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THe pup is 8 weeks old and he got 2 worming, 1 shot and a vet check.

I am concerned about the second shot is because the breeder told me that he is not protected by the parvo virus. and they said that that virus is dangerous.
So kinda freak me out.

Yap i have puppy pad "OUT" from wallmart ready in my home, i have kennel ready to be taken from my friend house (since i order it with her so it come to her house instead of mine). I got almost everything except for food and treat (which will be given by the breeder).

So is it okay for me to take him and let him play with the other dogs??

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
8 weeks is young, but that is when you see most breeders let their puppies go to homes.

If your dogs are vacinated against parvo, then you shouldnt have a problem. I was told they werent fully protected from the virus until their third series of shots. If you do get this pup tomorrow, do not let it play outside where other dogs (dogs you dont know) have been. They get the parvo virus from infected dog's poop, its not airborn. So if you keep the pup confined to the house and your yard (thats if no other dogs enter your yard but ones you know have been vaccinated) you should be just fine. I had Ginger when she was 6 weeks old (yikes) and she went home to a house with 5 dogs! I didnt let her go anywhere with me besides my yard until she got her third series of shots...that is when the vet gave me the okay to take her to parks, etc

My oppinion in general is this...it will not hurt to wait two more weeks...that way the second series is done, she is two weeks older, and you wont have so many worries. I know its hard to wait that long, but trust me it will be worth it in the end!!!!

Let us know what you decide. I hope this helped!!
Jessica

·
Registered
700 Posts
all I have to say is this . For the vets here to give the shots Its called 7 in 1 7 shots all in 1 shot its like 60-75$$ I bought the shot today and did it myself for a woppin 3.60$$ its for parvo also.can you do something like that?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The breeder is actually going to come today. at 7... They are bringing cookie together with them.
i thought they are bringing it tomorrow. They said that it is ok to take him as long as not going to parks. But to play with other dog and as long as in the house it will be ok.
They ensure me that he is not going to get the virus as long as not putting him on the ground.

so they are giving it to me and i am going to try my best to drive there next week (either in the middle of the week or the weekend to finish all of his shot)

I will post the picture tomorrow or sunday.

Right now i am trying my best to make my house puppy proof..

and excited too.

Thank you all for the helppp..

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I agree with angel .......... I think it is too young to take from mom............but it looks like you are pretty much decided...........dont let cookie by dogs who have not had their parvo shots and dont let him outside or in your garden until 2 weeks after the shot.

lots of luck to you and cant wait too see pics :wave:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually i am pretty scared but also very excited to get the puppy.

I promise I will be very strict with my friends about coming and playing with cookie. And make sure that he will not be out of my site.

Thank youuuuuuuuu
I wish i could hug you alll.... *HUG HUG*

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Cookie is such a cute name! I cannot wait to see pics of her! You will be very nervous with her for a while, until you get use to her being around. I know I was so scared when I brought Ginger home. I did everything for her including putting a heating pad in her crate (low setting with a big blanket over it) because I thought she would get too cold.
About giving shots yourself...beware because there is a certain way you need to give the shot and if you do it wrong you can cause a lot of problems (I know you didnt mention it, but someone else did and I just wanted to add that)
Congrats on the new puppy!!!!! Cannot wait to hear how she does!
Jessica

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
How exciting for you to get little Cookie!!! :p Most pups of larger breeds go to new homes at 6 weeks. Our Lab puppy Molly had not had a Parvo vaccination when we got her.

I got Tucker at about 8 weeks old, as he had been rescued from a pound at 6 weeks, and then started showing Parvo symptoms a couple of days later and spent 8 nights at the vet's clinic recovering.

I would not be worried about Cookie getting Parvo so long as you follow the advice to keep her in your home and away from dogs you do not know until she's had her 3rd series of shots. And do not let her wander around on the floor at the vet's clinic whenever you take her there---and no Petsmart floors either until she's fully protected.

Enjoy your puppy! :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all...

Cookie is with me right now, He turned out to be very adorable. He have barked twice today because i leave him for too long while he is in active mode. I called my mom so i was in my room and he is in the living room and he barked.

I actually quiet sad when i brought him home yesterday, there were fleas on his body and they actually bit him. He got quiet a few spot that have a dried blood. So i washed him with johnson2 (thank you for the suggestion using this shampoo). And i spent an hour taking all the flea that i can see off from him. I am convinced that he is 90% flea free. probably still have one or two on him but i am going to get him the flea comb and i will try to set up appt with a vet so i can give him something for the flea.

Kinda worried because next week i am going to the breeder again and kinda scared he is going to get the flea again.

Anyway so far he only have 3 accident in the house. one big one and the other is a just a drop or two. He is very quiet except if you leave him alone. hehehehhe :lol:

But for right now, i think his favorite thing to do is sleepppp :D

I will try to take pic tomorrow (i don't have digital camera, my bf have it so i have to wait for him) and post it.

:wave:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
He sounds very cute. If you are worried about the flea's tell the breeder that. Say that you dont want to bring him over there because when you got him he was infested with fleas. The breeder should understand and make accomidations so that Cookie doesnt have to go back.
The vet will give you a shampoo (I believe) to kill off the remaining fleas and their eggs. A flea comb will get all the lives fleas off but I dont think they remove eggs.
Congrats on the new puppy! I cannot wait to see pics of him!!
Jessica

·
Registered
700 Posts
ha ha I had this same problem yeasterday. ok to to esit or post reply which ever. scroll down to where it says add attachment click it. then where it says browes and then hit add attachment again and submit it. that should work
cant wait to see

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So happy that Cookie is at home with you now! :p

If you apply Advantage or Frontline to Cookie, he will not get reinfested with fleas for at least a month, and it will also kill any fleas that are remaining on him now.

Can't wait to see pics of your little fur-baby! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts