Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know he's 14 and been vaccinated every year all his life. Advice given here was that at his age you wouldn't booster anymore. But my vet is saying at his age it's even more important as his immune system won't be as strong!

What do I do for the best? I really don't know now.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I would tend to be traditionalist and go with what the vet says- he has been vaccinated every year and he's fine, if it was me I'd have him vaccinated :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I'd go with the vet, jsut imagine i fyou never got it done and he caught something.. you'd never forgive yourself.

The vaccinations have been fine for him all this time so yes go with your vet

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
It's a choice "you "have to make and feel happy with, i don't vaccinate Simba anymore,haven't done for about 7 years.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Here's a link to the American Animal Hospital Associations' 2006 Canine Vaccine Guideline, Revised. http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/VaccineGuidelines06Revised.pdf I'd review, print, and take with you to the vet's office for his review. I'd then ask about 3 year vaccines. At this age, and the proven DOI, he should be able to receive his vaccines every 3 years, except for Bordetella. The annual exam is important but annual vaccines not so much, if his exposure level is low and he is receiving his boosters appropriately every three years.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's not that I don't want to vaccinate him. I'm getting Lola and Tillie done every year for sure. It's vaccinating at his age that worries me.

Now because I didn't get it done in Feb my vet wants to start the vaccnes all over again. I don't mind this if it's for the best. I'm torn now.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Oh gosh Marie, I wouldn't. I know... that doesn't help when you get conflicting advice from people here and your vet too. I've just seen the studies that show that immunity lasts WAY WAY longer than one year and re-vaccinating actually DEPRESSES the immune response. It doesn't boost immunity at all. Once the memory cells are intact for the disease, they are there. They don't "forget" and then need to be boostered.

Here in the US, it's common to vaccinate just every 3 years for both rabies and the core vaccines after the puppy series is done. I don't know of many vets here that are still advocating yearly vaccinations. It's just not recommended to do that anymore. At least that's what is going on here in this country.

Does your vet do titers? If you wanted peace of mind, you could have blood drawn and see where his immunity stands. If is showed that he was lacking immunity against parvo, for example, you could go on and give that shot.

If he were mine, I just wouldn't keep on pumping vaccines into him. That's just me though. You have to do what is right for you and what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I know this is a topic that a lot of people are divided on it. It's such a personal decision and whatever you feel most comfortable with. Myself, I researched the topic thoroughly some years back when I had my Pom, at which point I decided against yearly vaccinations. I personally follow the Jean Dodd's vaccine schedule for my pups.

Jean Dodd's vaccine schedule

I vaccinate very minimally, although I always bring them in for a thorough yearly exam and they do receive their rabies vaccine every 3 years as it's the law here in NY state. Here's a very good article by Dr. Paula Terifaj that may be of interest:

Sounding the Vaccine Alarm Bell

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Does your vet do titers? If you wanted peace of mind, you could have blood drawn and see where his immunity stands. If is showed that he was lacking immunity against parvo, for example, you could go on and give that shot.

If he were mine, I just wouldn't keep on pumping vaccines into him. That's just me though. You have to do what is right for you and what you are comfortable with.
This is exactly how I feel as well. But yes, I also agree, one must do what they feel most comfortable doing. :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Getting his blood levels checked seems like a good compromise to me. Coz Id be abit suspicious that the vet was just lining his pockets by wanting to give vacs every year and a booster set for a 14yr old dog.:(
My vet has told me every 3yrs is fine, and I think that is reasonable.:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I follow the Colorado Vet Small Animal Vaccine Protocol
www.colovma.com/.../Small%20Animal%20Vaccine%20Guidelines%20final.pdf

I only booster every 3 years, except for Merlot. My vet recommends not giving him any vaccines except rabies for the rest of his life, too risky.

I would definitely stop vaccines at the age of 14. In fact, my doxie is 7 years old and she just received her last booster, except for rabies. Studies show that by that age dog's have developed lifetime immunity and the vaccines actually contain chemicals more likely to cause cancer in dogs her age, then provide any more protection.

If I were you, I would look for a new vet. Your vet is just after the money from the vaccines. It is one of there biggest income sources.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
With my old boy Toby i stopped vaccinating at 8 years old but that was because of a change of circumstances at the time when i got divorced and had 3 children to bring up and PDSA didnt do vaccinations then so i was on breadline at the time ,he didnt have a days illness (apart from when my sister gave him offal to eat when i was away) till 6 months before he died of heart failure when he was 3 days off his 16th birthday. My others are all vaccinated every year my eldest being 12 years old which i hope i will carry on.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I'm not going to weigh in on whether or not to vaccinate Cookie.
I just want you to know, that whatever you decide, I support your
choice. I know you have only his best interests at heart--
as you always do :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
With my old boy Toby i stopped vaccinating at 8 years old but that was because of a change of circumstances at the time when i got divorced and had 3 children to bring up and PDSA didnt do vaccinations then so i was on breadline at the time ,he didnt have a days illness (apart from when my sister gave him offal to eat when i was away) till 6 months before he died of heart failure when he was 3 days off his 16th birthday. My others are all vaccinated every year my eldest being 12 years old which i hope i will carry on.
I dont think any insurance company pay for the vacs even now. x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts