Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what else to do...we already got his stool tested at the Vet and everything is ok....The Vet gave us some pills and everything is ok for a week but now the pills is gone and his stool get soft again....Please can you help me what else to do?...thanks..

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hey!

Have you tried giving Mojie probiotics for a month? How about slippery elm? I would use both, for 2-4 weeks daily and see if it helps after you've stopped.

What is Mojie eating?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kelly...I don't know anything about probiotics or slippery elm.....

I'm feeding Royal Canin Chihuahua...

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Hi Moni!
Sorry to hear about Mojie. I would try a probiotic like Kelly/Muzby suggested. Have you changed his food recently? If not, maybe the manufacturer did?? A bland diet (boiled chicken & rice) might help to settle his stomach until you get it figured out. Keep us posted on how he's doing.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LDMOmma ...no berry tree only grass....I have bully sticks around the house ..

Mom of 4 chi's (not mom of 5 chis yet?)...hehe....I didn't change the food...when he was on the pill just last week his stool was ok......I'm thinking of taking him to the Vet again...

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Ha! Ha! No, not 5... yet! :)
Is it runny poop or just soft poop? You could take him to your vet just to be on the safe side. Yeah, as suggested above pumpkin works great too.
You can get probiotics at any health food store.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL...

it's kind of runny.....I will try pumpkin (if I can find it..my BF said he can't find it...lol..)...
I will check for probiotics also.....thank you for your help...:)....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
What pills was he on? What was the vet's diagnosis? Sometimes things can take another round of antibiotics to clear up. I would try the probiotics, the pumpkin (if you can find it) and/or the slippery elm, they all work like a charm, but it also depends on what is causing the soft stools.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Ahh, LOVE your new siggy pic! :D You're crew is just TOO CUTE!!

Has he had soft stool since switching to the RC? If so maybe it's just a food he can't tolerate? Some pups just don't do well on kibble at all - I'm sure this isn't the case for MoJie. But maybe his tummy just doesn't like that particular food. I personally love the dehydrated raw foods & we've added 2 into our pups diet w/o any belly issues at all even though we added them "cold turkey". They're just super gentle on their tummies all around & digest really well. We're feeding ZiwiPeak & the Honest Kitchen btw.

Anyway, I hope you're able to figure out little MoJies troubles. :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Honestly I bake biscuits for my dogs and they are full of oats and stuff and when they have them their poo is really nice and hard.

I started doing them again last week after a break because Tillie has soft poo which isn't good for her anal gland problems and now they're back to nice firm poo's.

I just knocked up another batch about an hour ago that just finished baking. The ingerdients are really cheap and last ages so you can make loads and loads from them whenever you like.

If it comes to shop bought biscuits or these they grab these first. If you want the recipe let me know.

I can't tell you enopugh how much they love them and how easy they are to make. And their poo is so firm when they have them.

Also when I ran out of Royal Canin and couldn't get it here for a few days as the shop was out of stock I had to get something else and their poos were soooooo soft and light brown. Now back on RC and their homemade treats they are 100% better.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I feel your pain lol. Bryco was the same, even on the best kibble out there, his poos were so gooey and soft still. Switching him to THK immediately solved the problem which I am still thankful for to this day. Some dogs just don't do super well on kibble.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I would think it's a food issue royal canin made my baby bleed she doesn't do well on any kibble makes her vvv I'll.

I would consider changing his food and giving him what the others said

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OMG OMG...I think the pumpkin is working...I gave him some in the afternoon and now his stool is harden......thank you for all your help!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
When Skylar was a puppy, she had slimy colitis which made her stools very soft. The vet said to give her Forta Flora or yogurt. I purchased a package of Forta Flora from the vet and gave her some every day. Her problem cleared up. However, it returned later. I never in my wildest dreams could imagine that a dog would eat yogurt (I'm used to Mr. Picky Bizkit!) but I bought Dannon Vanilla yogurt and she absolutely loves it (actually they all three do). So I would just give her about a tablespoon of yogurt every evening for a couple weeks and her problem would clear right up. She hasn't had an episode in a while (she's now 9 months old) so I'm hoping she's outgrown it but, if not, I know exactly what to do about it.
However, our situation is different from yours b/c we had a diagnosis and you don't. But if you're trying things, you might try a little yogurt--I don't think it can hurt anything. Best of luck!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I agree that a teaspoon or so of yogurt a few times a week is a good idea too -- we use the plain dannon one, usually low fat. They love it and I just top their food with it. I figure its a good idea to continually reintroduce good bacteria to their systems -- they each such icky things when we are out!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts