Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this puppy I just got him 3 days ago. He's eating fine. But this would be the second day that he has not gone number 2. Is that normal? Not to sound ignorant but do I have to do something to stimulate him? He will pee on the piddle pad no problem. I got him from a coworker who has the mom and dad he was the little runt of the litter. The mom stopped feeding I think maybe because of the razor sharp teeth. Any help you can give would be great. The last time that he went number 2 he went everywhere rolled in it and it required a major bath lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He is drinking water. And she gave me Rachel Ray food it's wet food and he is being fed twice a day she said a tablespoon twice a day

·
Registered
732 Posts
How old is he? He sounds young.

If he is eating and otherwise fine then I wouldn't worry too much about his poop. He'll get there. If he seems ill or lethargic and hasn't gone then I would worry.

Hopefully some other members will pipe in here with some good info for you.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
He's in a new environment so the lack of bowel movement is normal. It's gonna come out at some point lol.

A chi pup should be with its mom up to 10-12 wks. But since you already have him, you need to know that puppy's need 3-4 meals a day and usually as much as they will eat. I would up the amount of food you are feeding and feed him 3-4 meals a day until he is 6 months of age. An all life stages food as opposed to solely feeding puppy food is a great suggestion. I would also recommend feeding him a high quality kibble along with or in addition to his wet food. Just to add variety. I didn't know Rachel Ray had a dog food line? I would look into some other foods.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Chi pups will often nurse until 9 or 10 weeks, so being away from mum at 6 weeks is very young. I would feed to appetite at least 4 times a day, and offer puppy formula afterwards.
Was he eating solids well at his old home?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I agree that feeding 4-5 times a day is ideal. Was he still nursing at all from the mum? I know she didn't want to feed him, because of his teeth, but if he was nursing at all, I would go get some formula from PetCo/Smart and let him lick it up. Just until he is another month older. Takes a little bit off the idea he isn't nursing from Mum. Like the poster said above, most chi's will nurse until 9-10 weeks of age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts