Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 3 year old, 11 pound(not fat, tall and all muscle) intact, male Chi named Junior. My husband and I got him as a puppy, he was 12 weeks old. We got him 4 months before our wedding so JR was living with just me. He was a fun loving puppy. When my husband and I got married, JR actually chose my husband over me and seemed to want to be with my husband more than me. Which was fine. Since then, my husband deployed for a year, has been gone for a little over 6 months here and there in the last year and a half and we have had our first child. We also have a yorkie which we adopted when JR was about 10 months old. They are great buddies and playmates(never had an issue). Once my husband came home from the year deployment, JR was more attached to me. He was protective if my husband moved too quickly towards me or disturbed JR when he was sleeping. Also, during the deployment, JR (he is crate trained and LOVES his crate. He goes in his crate when we are not home and at night) started biting me when it was time to come out of his crate. When I got pregnant, JR got VERY protective over me. He used to love meeting other dogs and playing and once I got pregnant he started attacking other dogs. Our daughter is now 9 months old. JR is GREAT with her. She chases him, falls on him, takes his toys, you name it...and he just lets her. BUT he is EXTREMELY protective over her and has progressively gotten more and more aggressive with my husband. I have tried many things from putting him in "time out" when he does wrong, to talking nicely to him and trying to calm him down to ignoring him and many other things. Nothing seems to make a difference. He is quite unpredictable. What will set him off one time will get no reaction the next. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to include as much information as I could. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Oh, gee, I wish I had some good advice for you. It sounds like you are doing everything right. I hope someone more knowledgable will chime in with some help. The only thing I can think of would to ge see an animal behaviorist. The best of luck on getting JR more accepting of your husband again and not guarding you and your daughter so much.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would neuter him ASAP and get rid of that obnoxious testosterone. That will help some. The rest will be behavioral training. Probably you will need a referral to a behaviorist. Not sure a message board will be able to help with such a severe and pervasive problem. He definitely needs to be neutered though and then get him to an experienced trainer as soon as you can.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
As said above, definitely get him neutered. I would also try to incorporate "NILIF" (Nothing in life is free) Google it for more information, but basically it is a reward based training program to get him back in pack order within your family. He would have to do things for you before you allow him to do the things he wants to do as such as eating his meal, getting on the bed/couch, etc... Good luck and keep us updated

1 - 4 of 4 Posts