Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My lil' girl Josie is such a good girl! She is housebroken already. She really caught on to the litterbox (lined with puppy pads) and she is only 14 weeks old!!! I can't believe how good she is!!! <<<HOWEVER>>> I do have some questions....I don't know if I am just being inpatient or what but here it goes.

1. She loves to bite when she plays. I try to act like I am hurt and whimper like a pup and run away. Sometimes it works but other times she can care less. Any suggestions?

2.She was doing really well sleeping through the night when all of a sudden she wakes up crying at least once at 1am; if not again at 3 or 4am. I am trying to do tough love but how long should I let her cry? She has total access to her box so that isn't a problem...I think she gets lonely.

3.I know its natural for a dog to bark but how can I curb this humanely. I do not believe in spraying the dog, shocking etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I can't help you with 1 or 2 but as for 3...Does she bark at people or does she just bark in general?

If she begins to bark at someone, immediately call Josie's name and tell her to come to you. When she does (and she should walk to you without barking), give her a treat and praise. OR try saying Josie, Quiet. When she quiets down, give her treats and praise.

On another note, dogs realize that barking is a good thing IF the thing they are barking at goes away. For instance, someone new comes up to pet your dog, she barks at him, and the person walks away. That teaches the dog that strange people will leave you alone if she is loud enough. If you have friends/family/neighbors that Josie barks at, have them come near her and NOT leave or pay her attention until she quiets down.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I totally agree with the barking. Praise/reward when she is quiet and ignore her when she is barking. Tell her quiet and if she is going crazy at something outside give her a timeout in the crate.

1) Try shouting OUCH or NO when she bites. Try giving her acceptable chew toys when she starts to bite you. I always gave my mom's dog a Budah rope when she decided she wanted to chew on me. If not try some Bitter Apple spray or any other bite deterant spray. Bitter Apple worked best for me. Spray it on your hands and allow your dog to bite you. They will quickly learn that if they bite you they will get a nasty surprise.

2) Continue with the tough love, just as long as your pup has access to go potty. Usually they cry if they need to go out but that doesnt sound like this is the case. Have you tried putting an old t-shirt of yours in the crate with her? Usually they are comforted by the smell.

Hope this helped
Jessica

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys!

She barks when we "ignore" her (when we got people things to do) She is great with people she gets very happy when new people come around. She has old t-shirts in her crate. In fact last night she was quiet until I woke up for work! 8)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Thats good to hear!!! It might take some time but she will get use to her crate being her bed. My dogs just now walked upstairs and climbed into their crates for the night. The key is to never use the crate as a form of punishment...otherwise they will learn to hate it.
Sounds like she is coming along with the sleeping part...how is she doing with the biting??? The barking??? Barking, I find, is the hardest thing to stop. While its noremal for dogs to bark, you dont want them to bark excessivly. I still havent learned how to stop that yet (Tequila being a very loud, frequent barker) If I find a way to stop it I will pass it on to you :wink:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Milo is still biting, when I hold him and he wakes up he barks and I take him out to potty. If I am not holding him he will not let me know and if I don't watch him he pee's on floor. Also he seems to bark for no reason. I don't know him well enough yet to know what he wants i guess. Is he just being posseive. He is 11 weeks. I know he's a pup. Have any suggetions

1 - 6 of 6 Posts