Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,006 Posts
I totally agree with the barking. Praise/reward when she is quiet and ignore her when she is barking. Tell her quiet and if she is going crazy at something outside give her a timeout in the crate.

1) Try shouting OUCH or NO when she bites. Try giving her acceptable chew toys when she starts to bite you. I always gave my mom's dog a Budah rope when she decided she wanted to chew on me. If not try some Bitter Apple spray or any other bite deterant spray. Bitter Apple worked best for me. Spray it on your hands and allow your dog to bite you. They will quickly learn that if they bite you they will get a nasty surprise.

2) Continue with the tough love, just as long as your pup has access to go potty. Usually they cry if they need to go out but that doesnt sound like this is the case. Have you tried putting an old t-shirt of yours in the crate with her? Usually they are comforted by the smell.

Hope this helped
Jessica

· Registered
3,006 Posts
Thats good to hear!!! It might take some time but she will get use to her crate being her bed. My dogs just now walked upstairs and climbed into their crates for the night. The key is to never use the crate as a form of punishment...otherwise they will learn to hate it.
Sounds like she is coming along with the sleeping part...how is she doing with the biting??? The barking??? Barking, I find, is the hardest thing to stop. While its noremal for dogs to bark, you dont want them to bark excessivly. I still havent learned how to stop that yet (Tequila being a very loud, frequent barker) If I find a way to stop it I will pass it on to you :wink:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.