Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got Hope I stayed home a couple of days with her (I know no one here is rolling their eyes but many people in my real life did!) and then did half days and then left an hour or so early a couple. Starting Friday I will be on vacation, with her, for 2.5 weeks. My DH will be home some then as well.

The first few days that I was gone she pottied on her training mat only. NEVER on blankets or bedding. We were shocked.

Okay. I bragged. I should not have.

The last couple of days it is like she is winning a contest to keep her pad clean and pristine. NOTHING on it. She is going potty when we are gone. All potty on blankets. NONE in her main bed.

She has a million blankets and a few beds. 98% new just for her. I first thought that one blanket and bed, that were pretty new-and had been cleaned for her-but had belonged to our Mick, might have been the culprit. I removed those, have cleaned them and they are ready for the shelter.

Nope. She is going potty on her new, clean blankets that are bunched up on top of her little crate/cat beds.

Any thoughts for me on this? Is it letting us know that she does not care to be left? When we are home and playing in the living room (our living, dining and kitchen are all one big room) she scurries into the dining room area where her pad is, potties nicely and returns to play. We do major potty praise.

At 11 weeks, her potty consistency is amazing so I am not complaining. I do not mind laundering her blankets and we do not scold her. I'd put her on the pad in her "day care" area and say potty when we put her in and pick her up.

I am guessing I need more training than she so I came here to ask those of you with more experience.

I appreciate your feedback and guidance!!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
not sure if I am reading right please correct me if im not?
From what I can gather you have heaps of blankets down for
her and she is toileting on them, but not her main bed?
If this is the case remove all the other blankets and just keep
her main bed with a blanket or two in that.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. She has a 6 foot by 6 foot children's play yard and I have always kept 2-3 beds in it and plenty of blankets in each bed. One bed is tall and really nice. I thought that it was too tall for her to get into so I got 2 create beds/cat beds thinking that she can just step into those and I have 2 blankets in each.

She must understand that the big bed is really her bed and must think that the others are potty places although for nearly 2 weeks, she went perfectly on her pad.

She just started another habit yesterday. She was using her upstairs training pad easily 95% of the time. Now, she urinates on it and darts out in the living room and does her poo on the carpet. Has not done that for 2.5 weeks.

She is doing now what I expected she would do when we brought her home. She did not then but certainly is reverting now!

Today I will ad another blanket to her big bed and remove the smaller beds.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I would also remove all her other beds and just leave her one with a blankie or 2. Sounds like she is getting confused over where she should potty. Generally a dog wont mess on their bed.

Otherwise just watch her like a hawk and like you are doing already, give her major praise when she goes in the right place. If she does have an accident that you dont see her doing then just ignore it, dont tell her off after she has done it, only if you actually catch her in the act.

Sounds to me that she knows what to do but has just got her self a little muddled up

xx

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Today I will ad another blanket to her big bed and remove the smaller beds.
Thank you!!
Yes just do that and she will get it. Your little one was just confused. You did the write thing coming here.
And don't worry about other people I live with that in my life everyday I just ignore there looks.

Please keep us updated on Hope's progress. :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If I understand your post correctly, your dog is still a puppy, around maybe 11-12 weeks old? If that's the case, you can expect a lot more accidents while she sorts this out. I know we all want to think our dogs are "different", but it would be HIGHLY unusual for her to have gotten the hang of potty training this soon, or be completely consistent at this age.

I think she's confused about where she's supposed to potty, so the suggestion of removing all beds but the one she's supposed to sleep in is a good idea. Also, it might be that the area she's left in is too large. Typically she'd be crated whenever she's not 100% supervised, and because dogs relate their crates to their dens or beds, it''s unusual for them to potty there. Plus crating them and letting them out to potty conditions their little bladders to hold their pee longer, and teaches them to go potty only where YOU want them to go.

So I think the combination of too many beds and too much space, and also maybe too high an expectation on YOUR part, is getting in the way of your dog's training.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much! I had gotten so used to what we could do with our boy, who was 13, that I was not thinking like a puppy!

I will try that today and then after tomorrow I get to spoil her rotten, um..I mean train her consistently, for over 2 weeks! I'll be honest-I am planning to do both!!

Rachel I think she is going to look like one of your babies when she gets bigger! Your sweet one top right of your siggy card. She is cream smooth coat. People keep telling me that she looks pink! We she does a little, especially her ears!

Thank yo all again. I appreciate it and Hope appreciates you educating me!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I was used to my sweet old boy's accidents with his congestive heart failure and end of days. I am still learning puppydom!

It is funny because I was super prepared (I went the day before we picked her up and got fresh bottles of Resolve and Nature's Miracle) for ONLY potty on the floors and carpet. I never expected that she'd take to the pads.

We were very surprised when we brought her into the house and she promptly scooted to her pad (we got the same pads and similar holders as the breeder hoping for less confusion if possible) and pottied. For 2 whole weeks only 2 accidents off of the pads. She ALWAYS took herself to the pads. We were not expecting that at all. I actually put the cleaning supplies in the cabinet rather than right out on the counter top!

It just seemed odd that after 2.5 weeks of going on the pads that she started doing what I really expected she would do the moment we brought her home. It sounds as if I am confusing her. I am going to remove the bed and blankets that I have upstairs by her food and pads as well as those in her room.

I know that it is likely a controversial issue (I am learning about those on this forum as well-haha!) but she will not be crate nor kennel trained. She will be "free range". I know that MANY may not agree with that choice. We specifically chose a breeder who shared that philosophy so she has been in a sun room in a play yard like what she is in at our house when she is not with us. That was a coincidence. It is the "day care" area we had for Mick and we were happy to see that theirs was the same so we hoped that she would see it as similar in a new environment.

I really appreciate everyone's great advice and patience with my newness and missteps!!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I am pleased to report that you all trained me well!

Came home today to a filled up potty mat and blankets and bed are dry and clean!!

I will keep it this way and see how she does. Thanks for helping us. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Glad we could help. We tend to advise crate training here, just because it's a very tried and true method. But I don't think anyone on the forum is going to be judgmental about the way you choose to train your dogs. To each his own.

I will say this though. Dogs, and chihuahuas are no exception, like a space they can call their own. And it's been my experience with chihuahuas, because they're so tiny, that they particularly like a somewhat protected space. Some will sleep under their human's bed rather than on it, for just that reason, as one of many examples. So whether or not you choose to crate train, still I would advise you to make sure your dog has a place she can get away from everything, where she feels safe and protected. I don't ever have to crate Tango anymore, but his crate is still right there, available to him whenever he needs it. And sometimes he does. When he's disturbed by something and he can't get on me, he goes to his crate and snuggles in. When I run the vaccuum (he hates it) he runs to his crate where he feels safe. Things like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts