Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get my baby to relax AT ALL when I try and brush her teeth. She really freaks out and won't stay still. She is getting older now and I'm worried if I can't get her to do it soon then she never will. :(

Any suggestions guys? Thanks xx

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Make it a fun (or tasty) experience - use a meat flavoured toothpste and take it really slowly, she'll get used to it. Pippi was almost 4 when she first had her teeth done, and now shes brilliant.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
For me baby steps really worked. I would let them smell the toothpaste (I get vanilla mint and mine really like it and it smells yummy to me too which is nice, lol) and then just do a couple of swishes on the side canines. It took about 2 weeks for Pip to really let me get in there and brush, but now he is awesome and I can brush his entire mouth really well.

Roo has been more difficult as her mouth is so tiny. I recently bought a new toothbrush and that has helped a lot. Been taking baby steps with her and she is doing better, but will probably be a little bit before she is as good as Pip with it. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've found that it really helps if someone holds them so I just have to work the mouth part.

Stick your finger in between her teeth and cheek and close her snout with your hand wrapped gently around it then brush like mad with the other hand.

That's how I had to when I first started at least.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Baby steps really worked for me too. Hopie was 5 when I started, her previous owner had never brushed her teeth before. Get the dog used to touching their mouth: even lifting up their lips to look at their teeth. Then just try slathering the toothpaste on their gums. Then work up to as finger brush. Be firm. Praise heavily afterwards!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I will definitely try a different flavour toothpaste, I use Beef flavour. I feel bad holding her so tight! We don't have much choice in the UK pet shops for all the stuff listed on here, I may have to order it online x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts