Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chihuahua Luna has two baby teeth that never fell out, my vet says this is common for small dogs. He recommended that they be surgically removed, since they are creating a pocket for tarter to develop.

I really don't want to put her under for the procedure. When she got spayed Luna had a reaction to the anesthesia and almost died. This is noted in her chart, but I'm still afraid something could go wrong.

I've been trying to keep her teeth healthy, but it isn't working. I can see tarter building up between the two teeth. This is in spite of brushing her teeth twice a day, tarter reducing enzymes in her water, and a daily chew bone.

Any advice? Anyone else have a chi who is sensitive to anesthesia?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Getting put under and teeth cleaned is very scary too me too. I had a toy fox terrier that was tiny and looked just like a chi get his teeth cleaned and died. you need to get blood levels drawn see if any problems going on first.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
When it comes to this you just need to weigh the risk. If the teeth get really bad then it can lead to infection and could also end badly. I know that there is a newer way that they gas them instead of using anesthesia these days. Instead of having to gradually wake up from the anesthesia (this is what is dangerous) they remove the gas from the dog and they are immediately awake. It is much safer. You may want to ask your vet about this and discuss how bad the teeth are. If he doesnt use this type of gas but thinks the teeth really need to come out then maybe you can find a vet in your area that does so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts