Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tkink coco has scratched her eye. its sunday and the vet can't see her until tomorrow. i did speak to the vet on call and he said the flush out her eye with saline solution. can anyone give me some input?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I thought that Tucker had scratched his eye once, but when I took him to the vet, it turned out to be a piece of blanket fuzz, which the vet washed out of his eye. :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
=) Don't worry, it's not an emergency if it's just a scratch. If you are going to rinse it, be careful that you don't use contact lens solution or anything that isn't pure saline. If your pup's eye is very swollen and is winking most of the time, perhaps you should find someone who can see her immediately.

Now about the scratch...is it something you can physically see? Most corneal ulcers you can't see unless you stain it with contrast and view under UV light.

Try this: if you can see the "scratch", close your pups eye, and open it...did the scratch move or change shape? If so, it's likely that your pup got a piece of fuzz or hair in it's eye. A real corneal scratch won't change no matter how you manipulate the eye. If you can't flush it out, keep blinking your chi's eye until the piece of fuzz is in the corner, and gentley wipe the corner where the tears come out (NOT THE EYE ITSELF) with a damp tissue. It will eventually come out. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, or fear it's something else, let the vet take care of it. A piece of hair or fuzz in your dogs eye will actually eventually come out on its own, and it tends to bug us owners more than the dogs. When in doubt, ask the vet!

Good luck! -Nate

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget gets fuzz from his blankets and rope bones every once in a while and I blink his eyes and then it comes out with the tears.. At first I thought it wasn't going to come out, but it does....

good luck and God bless

1 - 6 of 6 Posts