Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Felony has been able to be out of her crate a little more often now and she is starting to calm down and some of her bad behaviors are slowly fading away but there are a few that I just can't seem to correct. For one she jumps on anyone and everyone that walks through the door, and I don't know how to make her stop I just think its really rude. The other problme is she growls playful I think everytime she is running around and you go to grab her. I believe its becuase she thinks shes going to be put back in her crate but how do I show her different?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
It sounds like you need to maybe take her to training classes and teach ehr some basic commands like come, down, sit and stay , you need to let her know that you are the boss, as for the growling everytime she does it pick her up and give her a time out in another rioom just for 2 mins - then let her back in and carry on as normal - she will soon get the idea :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i agree, get her to some training classes. that will help tremendously plus it will give her a chance to get out and meet new people...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only problem is obedience classes are expensives, She knows down and stay, I couldn't teach her sit because of her leg so as of right now I'm tryin to teach her that. I was hoping I could possible try some other alternatives before spending the money on classes.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Get yourself some books about behavioral problems ,i have a book its called How to raise a puppy you can live with",it tells you everything you need to know.Check out your local library or barnes and nobel.Good luck with everything :) :wave:

·
Registered
321 Posts
:? I personally dont understand crate training? My mom keeps her dogs in crates about 1/3 of the day and at night and if she leaves to go anywhere. But my mom is the type of person that thinks she know everything about dogs so i dont dare argue or question her for crating!! But her dogs react like you say yours is. I cant help but wonder if they are so happy to be out that they act out. :wink:
Porsha will sometimes growl when im leaning over to get her and she is running like a bullet around my feet growling but i feel she is wanting to play (roughhouse). Maybe you dog just wants more attention? :? Porsha also runs up to people that visit she doesnt jump yet (puppy) but o my she gets so excited. as soon as they sit down she is ready for them to play with her. Maybe that is all your dog is doing? As for jumping i would just pick your chi up and say no jumping as people come in and let him down and if he does it again pick him up again and say no eventually he will figure out if he wants to visit he cant jump.

I understand not wanting or having the cash for behavior classes. I would have to drive over 110 miles round trip to give Porsha classes. :? Not happening. I believe you can train your dog. :D good luck :wave:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
im my summer holiday i'm planning on taking classes with cosmo !!

i would like to go three times a week for 3 weeks and it will be nice for him...going out when it's warm weather .
i think it would benefit our relationship and i would like him to obey me 100 percent :D !! paris and vienna don't need it that much . they are calm and sweet. but cosmo 's a real MALE .

kisses nat

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Felony isn't crate trianed she fractured her thigh bone and had a pin put in it, she had to be caged for 6 wekks and then the old pin started to back out and she needed a new one put in another 6 weeks. Thats why I thought maybe its just her frustration. Maybe I'm just asking to much to soon, she hasn't even been free for a week! I guess I should give it more time first. She is making so progress at least.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Poor baby!! She's probably so excited to be free.

I crate trained Punky so she wouldn't get into any trouble when I had to leave her alone (which isn't often). My cats are mischievous and knock things down from tables, I was afraid they might conk her on the head when I wasn't home.
It has come in handy also when workers have been here with doors open, keeps her safe. She gets a special treat when she goes in.

I took Punky to classes. It does help them to concentrate on the commands when they start to be naughty. I was told to tell Punky to sit when the doorbell rang so she would do that rather than charge the door.

"Down"helps when people come in and she jumps up but not much, she's just too excited to see and be with them!

·
Registered
321 Posts
:oops: Im sorry now i remember you- you posted a thread about your dog being hurt and I replied about my dog that got ran over.
Yes that type of crate training i completely understand because i had to do the same thing. I do appologize. I still dont understand the need for most crate training. We are all diffrent with our pets for me I dont have a need till I go to vet then my cats and Porsha get put in crate for that. All i have to go by for crate examle is my mother (she lives in texas) I feel like she is a little cold hearted towards her dogs and it seems so mean to keep them locked up so much. But then again she thinks me and my sis are NUTS for allowing are dogs to have run of house and yard and for letting our dogs on furniture. See we are all so diffrent even when were family. :?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I am glad that felony is out of her crate more and can have a fun puppy life now...

ok this is my opionion on the matter... I wouldn't pick her up when she jumps up on somebody.. because that is what she wants.. when you pick her up when she is doing that she wil keep thinking it is ok fro her to do it...

I would bend over and touch the back of her neck (not hard to hurt her but hard enough she knows you are touching her) and tell her no jump.... you might have to repeat this many times before she understands.. but you should beable to get her too stop... I did this every time Gadget would bark at some one that came in the house... but iinstead of touching the back of his neck I would touch the top of his nose with one figure... soemtimes he will bark when really excited about seeing the person but I wil point my figure at him and tell him no bark and he will get it.. if the person picks him up he will contunie to bark... it is harder to teach the person not to pick him up then it is to teach him to no bark at them to pick him up....

I hope this helped...

as far as the growling goes.. hmm ... the only time Gadget growls at me is if he is pooing in the wrong spot and I try to pick him up in the middle of it.. I just wait until he is done now and pick him up and tell him bad boy and ut him on his potty pad and tell him this is where you go..

I'm not sure what to tell you.. but she might be thinking you are trying to put her in her crate... I think I might pick her up and take her to her crate but not put her in it and tell her it is ok and that she doesn;t have to go in it... you never know it might work... I would make sure you do this and the let her play or what ever... you might make it a routine for a while and see what she does.... never hurt to try...

I haven't taken Gadget to any classes either.. I have just worked with him and Mark has taught me alot of things about training.. he used to work with all the baby horses when he was a kid living on the horse ranch... he says that love and training come hand in hand...

and you know what it is true... I have taught Gadget a lot of things and he is really good... it is amazing...
good luck and God bless

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much I'll give it a shot. It couldn't hurt. I think she just needs a little time to before I get to upset, I have found something that works, I put a couple pennies in a can and when she is doing something shes not suppose to I shake it and tell her no. It seems to work.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The pennies in the can is a good idea - I've used it for Jasmine some.

I think I would give it some more time - she has had to be crated so much of the time for so long, it was bound to affect her behaviour. You might just have to start at the beginning and re-train her. I know this is sometimes necessary after a move or other life-changing event. Work with her on training, and if it doesn't help then you can consider other alternatives.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I dont know how long you've had her but mine did that for the first couple of days with me. All it took was a couple days of barking NO! everytime he growled and then when I picked him up praise him for being quiet (I praise quickly after he stops to keep his confidence up) He doesnt anymore.

With the crate - I made it a fun place to be, try playing with her and some toys in the crate so she realises its a safe and fun place to be, but I agree they shouldnt learn to love the crate, it should just a neutral safe place. It only took a few days - these chis learn so fast!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Would anyone recommend 'crate' training?

I was going to get one for mine, just for when I'm not in the house, as I don't want him running riot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Luggy said:
Would anyone recommend 'crate' training?

I was going to get one for mine, just for when I'm not in the house, as I don't want him running riot.
My daughter's boyfriend's puppy died while he was at school for no apparent reason. His dad is a Vet so he did an autopsy. The puppy had eaten a string from his pant waist. It did something within the intestine. My girlfriend in Arizona lost her cat "Blue" to the same thing, but Blue's was slow, couldn't figure out why he was losing weight. I'm an overly protective Mom. When I can't have my eye on Punky (especially the first year) She's in the crate.
Never for punishment. If I go for example to a business dinner where she can't go , I give her a special treat and water, she has a blanket and cushion. She goes right in çause it's a good safe place.
If my air conditioners for example are being worked on and the workers are in and out of the whole house leaving doors open, she goes in her crate.
I know if Punky ever had to go in a crate (which is really a pretty blue med size carrier) for medical reasons, quarantine what ever, she could handle it.

But my issue was safety. I did read that some dogs like to be in a small safe place sometimes on their own and to leave the door open so they can enter on their own.

And finally, in the housebreaking stage....when she was very young I would put her in while I was home for short periods (so she wouldn't associate with only my leaving the house) and I had read this was an excellent way for them to learn to hold themselves until taken out or to the wee wee pad.

There are specifics like, it can't be too big or they'll "go potty" in one corner and then lay in another. They won't pee where they sleep.

Anyway she's OK with it because she goes in only when necessary and gets a special treat. It should not be used too much But she's safe.

Earlier I also mentioned my Siamese are mischievous and knock things down and I could see Punky being below curiously looking up at what their doing and getting conked in the head when I'm not around. :D

And because my house has a lot of in and out traffic! I didn't want someone to let her Out of the door without realizing it! She still isn't perfect at not trying to follow or run out to greet people, she loves them so much So if I have lots of people coming in and I'm in the kitchen preparing for 30 last minutes, I put her in until I can keep my eye on her or take her to a guest to hold onto her and watch her when the door opens.

I read everything I could get my hands on before I bought Punky and kinda decided on which items made sense to me. I think that's the best for all owners because everyone has completely different living situations.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I did the basics with mine on my own if you cant do sit say off when she jumps up on someone grasp her nap of neck not hard remove her and say off! keep repeating if she doesnt stop put her in another room or crate her for a short time let her out when the people are still there and if she goes to do it again repeat continue the routine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wouldnt use the crate for punishment. Ever. Bad assosiation, but i think as above, if you say enough rather than no then put him in, he wont feel its punishment, just a time out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Another note on crating. When Punky was spayed my Vet told me to keep her from jumping up for quite awhile to prevent a hernia. It was tough to do because before I knew it there she was beside me. Anyway I did my best to lift her, but I could have never controlled her when I wasn't home,unless I left her somewhere she couldn't seek furniture. That would have had to be a bathroom and then once again the possibility, someone would come home before me and open the door and let her out.
There is usually someone home all the time so Punky does not live in her crate. But she is trained and ready when needed.
Plus I travel with her a lot all over. She is very content and comfortable under the plane seat in front of me for hours, I believe because of her crate training.
I take her to restaurants and grocery shopping hidden away in a little bag where no one knows shes there. When I'm ready to go I say, "come on lets go bye bye" and she jumps in the little bag. Then if i say "get down"she ducks so I can zipper it.
I'm sure crate training has helped her to stay "inside".

Punky gets to go with me more I think just because of her crate training.

And before I go on forever and ever :oops: (sorry)
I take her to friend's homes and some have dogs who are not chihuahua friendly, but Punky is content to be in her Airplane travel bag watching them with those big eyes very content. Once again, otherwise she would have to stay home.

She is my third child! Actually I've told my other kids, "Punky is my favorite child!!!!"

Here she is all ready to go in her car seat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts