Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the past two hours zoey, has been snorting/coughing and acting like she's going to throw up every five minutes or so-- but she hasn't. she seems like she wants to sleep, but keeps being awakened by the snorting. it is almost like she has something stuck in her nose and is struggling for air, but she is acting normal when she isn't snorting. her mouth is closed when she's doing this so it isnt like she's coughing i dont think....

help!!! what should we do???

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think this classifies as an emergency??

i would feel like a jerk calling the vet and waking him up at 1 in the morning if it's nothing. :oops:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is there an emergency vet near you? Then you wouldn't be waking anyone up....

If I had to guess, I would say it's either reverse-sneezing (not really serious) or collapsing trachea (could be serious)... OR... Daisy did that once when I gave her popcorn and some of it stuck to the back of her throat. Has Zoey had popcorn lately?

Can you stick your finger down her throat to make sure there is nothing caught in there? Sounds unpleasant, I know, but it's better than choking.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is no emergency vet around here. i know, it sucks-- i'm in a small college town. i should take her to the people hospital! ha ha

zoey hasn't had anything to eat since 7.... it happened suddenly -- she just snorted once. and then about 10 minutes later had a longer episode of maybe 1 minute of snorting and gasping.

she won't let us look in her throat -- i know, 4lbs should be easy to control .... but, she doesnt THINK she's 4lbs!

right now she's sleeping peacefully... but every once in a while she'll jump up and start the snorting....

·
Registered
98 Posts
You could try giving her benadryl. If it is reverse sneezing, that should help. It may also help her sleep.

I'm not sure of the dosage for 4 lbs. Daisy takes 1/2 capsule (mixed with something) twice a day, but she is 9 lbs. You could probably safely give her 1/2 capsule tonight, but I wouldn't give her anymore until she sees a vet. (Daisy took about 14 times what she was supposed to take -- she got into the bag of treats mixed w/ benadryl -- she freaked out a lot, but there were no long-term negative effects, so I don't think it would hurt to give her half a capsule even if that is slightly too much.) I used to know the liquid dosage (like for children's benadryl), but I can't remember now. Sorry.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok... well... zoey seems to be fine now. it was really weird, she had a pretty nasty snort last night that brought up a hairball... after that she was able to sleep through the night.

this morning she is acting perfectly normal (eating, playing). we called the vet anyway and they said that is didn't sound like something we should rush her in for. we just need to keep an eye on her.

we had her into the vet a little over a week ago and her respiratory system sounded good.

thank you for all of your advice!!! :wave: :thumbright:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I give 1 1/2cc of childrens benedryl to Lucy for her reverse sneeze. She is also around 4 pounds. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
If you are ever worried about ur little guy not getting enough oxygen or having other breathing problems check his gums the next time. The gums should be a nice pinkish/redish color and if you were to press on the gums they should turn from white to the pinkish/redish color within a second. If the gums are pale, white, grey, or blue that is a bad sign and you should probably take ur chi into the vet asap. if the gums are still pink then you can be pretty sure they are breathing find. My dogs have caughing fits too, but the vet cannot attribute it to anything medical.
Youl will probably know if your dog is really in distress or not, but the gums is a good way of checking (though it doesnt totally discount any medical problem...this was taught to me at work where I take care of sick dogs by myself at times and that was one of the major warning signs to look for....on top of very shallow/rapid breathing and heartrate)
Hope this helped!
Jessica

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
That is really great info to know Jessica - thanks for posting it!

Colleen, I am very glad to hear that Zoey is fine now. That must have been scary!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
How scary! Sounds like something that happened to Kemo once, I think he had a piece of rawhide stick stuck. Glad your baby is ok! :wave:

Thanks Jessica!! :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, it was SO scary... we were both just sitting there looking at her feeling so helpless.

thanks for that info about checking her gums. i looked at her gums and didn't notice anything weird but i also didn't know what i was looking for! :shock:

thanks for your concern everybody! :) zoey is doing better- she snorted a few times yesterday afternoon but since then has been totally fine! boy, she really knows how to give her mommy and daddy stress! :roll:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
It's like there sucking air in real hard through their noses and do it several times in a row.

It has something to do with the traikia (sp) collapsing.

My 2 do it occasionally and when they do I dip my finger in their water and make them drink. It seems that swallowing will usually stop it.

However, if your dog is doing it a lot, often and everyday, you should make an appointment with the vet and have it checked out. There could be something more serious causing it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i read that reverse sneezing is harmless-- eventhough it looks painful and is scary when it happens. i also read that trachea collapse has nothing to do with reverse sneezing. but, trachea collapse is a serious condition that has alot of the same symptoms as reverse sneezing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
hmmm Neville does that snorting thing when he get's really excited, I acted it out for my vet one day and after he got done laughing at me he told me it was common for the breed to do this......hmmm :scratch:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
only Ginger and Tequila will do that reverse sneezing thing...usually when they get really really excited or after they are done drinking water. Ginger was really bad but the vet assured me she didnt have a collasping trechia. Kylie does it very randomly and only after she has finished drinking a lot of water. I just think she drinks too fast and ends up caughing. She isnt the brightest dog out there...lol :wink:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Puck does the same thing as Kylie. And he occasionally has fits, sorta, which I say are due to the trachea. I talked to my vet who said the same thing as Neville's vet, pretty much. The reverse sneezing is just something the breed does--and that a collapsable trachea was literally a genetic thing that causes the opening to the trachea to be sorta ovular/flattened instead of circular...and that it can essentially cause the dog to have those kinds of coughing, gagging fits...the way he described it made me think of allergies. If something irritates the trachea (and when it's like that, lots of things can irritate it), the dog can have a sort of 'attack'. At that time, giving a small amount of benedryl would be ok if it seems to be severe or prolonged.

Essentially, that's what he told me.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Auggie is exactly the same It's sort of a coughing gagging sound that sounds horrible, but he only does when he is excited ( like when we come home from being gone ) or when he drinks water especially after one of his wild run run fits with dad. :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts