Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paco has a treat stuck in his throat. It is one of those soft wellness squares.
I have stuck my finger down his throat twice and nothing. He is throwing up white foam. what shoud I do. He is able to breath, but is in obvious distress.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Yes, if you can't get it out, get him to a vet straight away. Good luck! Let us know how he's doing.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is better now, that was really scary, He was choking and sreaming at the same time. I hope I didn't hurt him by sticking my finger down his throat, I feed him some wet food and it went down ok so I'm sure the obstruction has passed. He still keeps gasping though. I am wondering if he could have a collasped treacha. His neck is very small and he does alot of reverse sneezing when he gets excited. It worries me. anyway he is sleeping in his bed now, probably trying to figure out what happened to him. poor baby. Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
For future reference, a hymlic maneuver can be performed on dogs. When Finn swallowed a huge treat out of anger that I was taking it away for the day. It got stuck and my husband fixed him for me... :) Leave them on four feet while you do it, and give more pressure to the sternum of their rib cage than their back(spine). Squeeze quickly, but not terribly hard. Think of if you were to give CPR to a baby. We only had to do it the one time, but it worked almost immediately. It's good to be prepared. :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I am a worrier when it comes to my animals and if my animals don't seem 100% its to the vets. So if I were you and the gasping doesn't stop soon then I'd go the vets even if just for peace of mind.

Hope the little lad is okay now, must have been scary for you both

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He is all better now. Running around like normal. The gasping is over and he's breathing fine. I sure wish I knew about the hylmic manuever when it happened. I hope it never happens again. I will not be giving him those treats any more. I think he swallowed it wihout chewing it first and it was trapped in his throat. I think the soft treats are dangerous. Thanks again everyone for your help.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What a nightmare!! So glad everything turned out OK. How scary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts