Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Chihuahua is a bit over two years old. At around 1 year he just suddenly lost a patch of hair(he is blond short haired) took him to vet who said he was bitten by an insect. I always felt that was crap but the spot looked/looks healthy no itching or anything we just thought oh well. Now about a month ago I saw another spot and now theres another one both by the original spot which is about the size of a quarter. This is quite large on him since he is under 3 pds. I hate it. He is so cute and looks like he has mange or something. I will be taking him to vet this week but I have no confidence that he will be able to diagnose as skin problems in dog or even humans rarely are in my experience. He used to eat Blue Buffalo but we switched from that because it isn't sold local but I will be driving today and getting some to switch him back. I wish I could remember if this started after we switched foods but sadly can not. Any help? Thank you in advance. Tracy.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I would ask the vet to do a scraping of the area, it could very well be mange. Reese had demodectic mange as a puppy and the vet explained that the mite exists normally on dogs and is normally kept in check by the dogs immune system. We didn't treat it as they told us it would likely clear up as his immune system matures. It was gone within a week or so, but I was told to watch for it getting bigger or for new spots developing. The fact that he has another spot close to the first is what made me think mange, but it certainly could be something else.
We just switched our guys from blue buffalo a little over a month ago too because they had a recall on a number of their foods. You can see which ones on their site, not all were effected but it made me lose confidence in their company in general. Just waned to let you know in case you hadn't heard, our vet sent an email about it but I heard from a member here weeks earlier (thanks brodysmom!)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts