Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tomorrow me and my friend are going to the halal butcher - they're do everything - I don't think pork but I'm not up to date on what Muslims eat all I know is the meat has to e slaughter in a certain way

Anyway they do all funky stuff cheap so I'm going for the girls

I want to get some chicken feet

Is there anything funky that's hard to get that I should look for???

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Idk but I think they think cows are sacred? Its the Jewish people that don't do pork, I think, and I know middle eastern religion (TBH I don't know which) doesn't do cow.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Get organs!!! The meat is pretty easy to find but organs aren't. See if you can get any lamb or sheep or goat parts .... tongues, hearts, livers, kidneys. I would LOVE to get Brody some goat.

ooooooooh and BRAINS of any animal they have!! They are very high in fat and omega 3's. :)

You lucky dog!! Wish I was going. I don't know what the heck a halal butcher is but I wish I was going anyway. ;)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh Hindus don't do cow! Idk I wanted a beef heart lol

I thought about Tongue?? It's quite chewy so they would get a good work out out of it?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heart liver and kidney is in supermarkets here puke puke

Oh if they have goat I'll deffo get it what about mutton if they have that??

I'll deffo let u know what we get!! Exciting times for my girls lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would see if they have goat or sheep or lamb. If your girls like fish, you could so some fish! Try to get the oilier fish as they have the best omega 3 - mackerel, salmon, sardine, smelt. You could even do whole fish!!

Tongue is great. Its very very tough so it gives them a really good workout. Cheek meat is another one that is tough but good. Any heart of any animal is great.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They sell cheek meat omg I'm gonna need a bucket coz I will puke!!

Ok some Tongue chicken feet brain goat and other gory stuff

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Bring your puke bucket and buy away!!!! LOL! Anything that looks red and meaty would be in my cart. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice wtaf do they do with cow hooves seriously oh darling what's for dinner tonight?? Stuffed cow. Hoove um I'd rather starve

Hahaha moni I will be a site in that shop

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Cow Hoof EWWW but here is a recipe I found on google!

MENUDO RECIPE 1

A large saucepan (see note below)
1 calf's foot (about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds) 2 pounds honeycomb tripe 1 large onion 3 cloves garlic, peeled 6 peppercorns 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste 4 quarts of water A comal or griddle 3 large chiles anchos A spice grinder A large chile poblano, peeled or 2 canned, peeled green chiles The calf's foot 1/2 cup canned hominy (1 pound) drained (see note below) Salt as necessary 1 scant teaspoon oregano

Have the butcher cut the calf's foot into four pieces. Cut the tripe into small squares. Put them into the pan with the rest of the ingredients. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower the flame and simmer uncovered for about 2 hours, or until the tripe and foot are just tender but not too soft. Meanwhile, toast the chilies well. Slit them open and remove the seeds and veins from the chile poblano, cut it into strips, and add to the meat while it is cooking. Remove the pieces of calf's foot from the pen, and when they are cool enough to handle, strip off the fleshy parts. Chop them roughly and return them to the pan.

Add hominy and continue cooking the

Trippa alla Corsa -- Corsican Style Tripe
This recipe is drawn from Pellegrino Artusi's La Scienza in Cucina e l'Arte di Mangiar Bene, the first successful cookbook aimed at the middle class; it was omitted from my translation, The Art of Eating Well (Random House) for want of space.

You will find this tripe to be unique: tasty, easy to digest, and better than any other you have tasted yet. Its secret lies in use of a well made meat sauce, which must be abundant, because the tripe will absorb a great deal. Beware, however, that this dish cannot be made in those areas where beef trotters are sold skinned, because the gelatinous gristle is necessary to bind the sauce.

1 3/4 pounds raw tripe
1/4 pound boned beef trotter (ask your butcher to get this for you)
1/3 cup unsalted butter
3 ounces lard
Half a large onion
2 small cloves of garlic
A pinch of nutmeg, and one of spices (allspice will work here though it's not what Artusi would have used)
Meat sauce (have 2 cups handy)
2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano
I specified raw tripe, because in many areas the custom of selling it already boiled prevails.

Wash the tripe well and cut it into half inch strips; do the same with the trotter.

Mince the onion and sauté it in the butter. When it begins to brown, add the lard and the garlic, both minced. Once this mixture has browned, add the tripe and the trotter, and season the mixture with salt and the spices. Cook the meat until it appears dry, then add the meat sauce, reduce the heat, and simmer the tripe until it is tender, 7 to 8 hours, adding more liquid as needed to keep things from becoming too dry. Should you run out of meat sauce, use broth instead. Just before serving the tripe, dust it with the grated cheese; serve it over slices of toasted bread, which should swim in the sauce. This will serve five.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
EW EW EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW - those recipes are yucko!!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yeah I'm gonna make a bug old batch of that shite and paint the nails for garnish!!!! :roll:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts