Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! So I was recently given the most beautiful little Chi puppy ever! Here's my delima..I have never owned a dog in my entire life. My parents hated animals but I've always loved them. I've owned many cats and fish but what i've always truly wanted was a little pooch to follow me everywhere I go. I have been frantically reading anything I can find on how to ensure my little Delilah will be happy,healthy and well-behaved. ;) She is 6 weeks old and already such a bundle of joy. She whines at about 3am every morning and I take her out of her crate and put her on the puppy pad to go potty and she does it like a champ! Then she will go back to sleep til I haveto get up for work. As soon as I wake up I take her to potty again. I usually let her eat and play while im getting ready for work. She isnt a bad dog by any means I would just like some advise on how to make sure we stay on the right track with all of her training. Anything will help!! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
welcome! your puppy is doing very well! you do need to stick to a very stricked routine so exact time everyday ect. also do me prepared that there MAY be an accident at some point , its no ones fault it just can happen to a dog of any age! and also dont tell her off going to the toilet in the wrong place instead just pick her up and move her to wear shes ment to go even if she has finished and when you have placed her there say "Good girl" in a REALLY excitable voice! and for other training when telling off DO NOT shout! just do either a stern NO slightly loud but not shouting or a quiet VERY stern voice and when praising do that excitable voice.

Also try to lose treats as less as possiable as somewhere down the line you will have to remove the treats from EVERYTHING and that is not easy and could not work ect.! because some after training cant or refuse to do tricks ect. without them! ok for sitting ect. that seems fine! but for toilet training , staying ect. its a big problem! good luck! :) x

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Welcome! She's pretty young to be taken away from mom. It sounds like you're doing great with crate training! Such a young puppy can't be expected to sleep through the night. You're doing the right thing by giving her a chance to go, and putting her back to sleep. Eventually she'll sleep right through the night. I read a lot of great dog training books before we brought Odie home, and found a lot of great advice in them.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hello and welcome! Your little girl sounds to be doing well, she's so young to be away from her mama dog. This forum has great information that will really help you along :)
The 2 things I always give as advice to any new puppy owner is, 1) Good nutrition is VERY important. By feeding a high quality grain free or low grain high meat diet, you will elliminate many issues from allergies to skin issues. And even bigger health issues later on. So please steer clear of any super market foods (walmart ect.) And start with a good food to get your puppy healthy right from the start. 2) Socialize your puppy. Socialization is what is going to help her be free from anxieties, insecurities, and barking at everything as an adult. The more they see, smell, hear, the better. With that being said, I highly suggest you do not take her around random dogs until she has her puppy shots to ensure that she does not get parvo or distemper from going to petsmart or places of that like. At such a yong age, it will be a while until youu can take her out and around so you can start inside your own home, you can invite friends over to meet her. Turn on the vacuum, things like that, everyday life things, start now.
So welcome to you and your sweetheart :) Please do post pics of your little girl when you can!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thank you all so much! I've got my legal pad out writing all of this down! lol I plan on taking her this saturday to get her shots and have the vet check her out. I was warned not to take her around other dong until then but I did not think about petsmart. We may have made a trip there last night to get a harness and some potty treats. Do you think this one trip could have harmed her? I dont plan on taking her out again until we make the vet trip saturday.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Most important is where does she stay and play while you are getting ready? You need to puppy proof your home like you would for a child. Pups can get into so much that can be harmful to them.

I doubt one trip to Pet Smart hurt her. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What brand of food would you recommend? I know the grain free/low grain high meat but is there a certain brand?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She plays in the living/room kitchen (its one room) My apartment has three rooms total in it so im not worried about losing her ;) I usually leave the bathroom door open to watch her. I may not be able to lose her but i understand she will still get into mischief.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
ziwi Peak seems to be the biggest hit on the forums from what I can tell. Even some that feed raw give Ziwi Peak at times. I feed Ziwi Peak Venison and Great Life Grain Free Chicken

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Really watch cords and anything she can get her mouth on. Something as simple as a paperclip can cause an issue if she swallows it

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Congrats!! 6 weeks is really young. If your pup is waking up at 3 am, she is hungry. When they're that young, they need to be fed about every 4 hours. It's amazing to me that he will pee & go back to sleep. It's very important that you feed him frequently since he is so young.

I think he's a little too young for ZP or any hard food, but if he's already eating it, I would moisten it with puppy formula so it doesn't upset his stomach.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
You really need to get that puppy some puppy formula. I would say she needs to be on that for at least another 3 weeks. If your feeding kibble, let the kibble soak in the puppy formula.
I would not chance taking your pup outside at all until it has it shots. You need to go to the health section here about shots. Be informed about them.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Where does she stay while you work? A puppy that young needs a bed, some space to play, food and water while you are away, and a place to pee. This is the set-up I use for my puppies.

My Pepper came to me at 6 weeks, I needed to feed him in the middle of the night for about two weeks. And I had to soften his food for about the same amount of time. But he was only 15 oz when I got him. You can leave out dry kibble at all times and she will nibble on it until she can be transitioned to dry all the time. Unless yours is bigger and able to eat the dry already. The puppies I have started eating dry when they were 4 weeks old, stealing it from their mom. lol Would love to see a picture of your little one. We love pictures here.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Royal Canin has a "baby mini" formulation for young puppies who have just weaned, little Chihuahuas have great trouble with some of the standard size puppy kibbles.

Both my dogs weaned onto the baby mini RC food and then went onto eat other high end kibbles, and they are great!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Aww she's adorable, I just saw the little pic of her you have as your signature, so sweet :) there are some very good foods, I like Ziwi Peak and The Honest Kitchen. As for kibbles I like Fromm, Orijen, Acana, Earthborn Holistics, and Blue Buffalo Wilderness or Blue Buffalo Freedom. I got my Audrey Lyn at 6 weeks and 3 days old, she was a rescue sorta, long and sad story. I switched her straight to the raw diet, never gave formula. But I do think formula is a good idea, you can put her kibble in it and allow it to moisten for a few minutes. Another thing I wanted to mention to you is that chihuahua puppies need to eat often. All puppies do but achihuahua's blood sugar can drop and they can have seizures and shock. So I suggest feeding her small meals all throughout the day. I think you are really going to love having a chi, they are great little dogs :)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Wow, 6 weeks is incredibly young ... breeders usually keep them to at least 10 weeks if not 12 due to the different lessons and behaviour the pup picks up whilst still with mum & siblings.

I would do lots of research about having her shots for 2 reasons, 1. her age and 2. pups are covered by their damn's antibodies for a certain period after weaning and therefore when they're given shots during that period it's completely superfluous. If this is the case with her (obviously circumstances vary for every dog, weaning etc) it may well be that if you leave it an extra couple of weeks before you get your shots they'll cover her completely, as can be proven by a "Titers Test" - please research this as some automatically immunise 3 times through ignorance and/or simply believing Vets who're simply after the $'s. You'll also come to learn annual "boosters" are BS money making for vets again & a Titers Test may well prove the dog is perfectly covered in all respects.

ZiwiPeak is a great food, I use this combined with raw meat and other "stuff", but that's a ways off for your girl yet.

The only other thing I would say is be sure to have some Nutrigel on hand, given daily it will supplement her vitamins & minerals & prevent sugar drop which can be very dangerous in tiny dogs.

Would love to see some piccies of the wee darlin'

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I have not read through all the posts but at 6 weeks your pup is not going be able to eat standard kibble. Maybe the RC Kitty reccommended or a canned puppy food. My Chloe at 15 weeks can not eat standard kibble unless it is softened with water and I also break up and soak her ZP in water so she can eat it. Please read this article on hypoglycemia as it can fatal to our little ones,
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-health/836-article-hypoglycemia.html

1 - 20 of 32 Posts