Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Toby has been acting strange for a couple of days.Tonight he has started wrenching/dry coughing. Twice he threw up clear liquid (I'm assuming bile). Should I take him to the emergency vet or can it wait until tomorrow around 12 when I get out of school? I'd rather take him tomorrow after class if possible because it is cheaper to do so and if I take him now I most likely will not make it to school in the morning.

It isn't constant, maybe 5 very short (less than 30 seconds) episodes an hour. He ate dinner earlier and drank water a bit ago. He also ate an ice cube that I have him about half an hour ago. It seems to be occurring less frequently than it was before.

Also, I don't think I will be letting him go back to day care. I have an odd feeling that this is kennel cough.

Thought? Opinions? Advice?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
131 Posts
if its kennel cough its the equivalent of me or you getting a cold. if you have humidifier you can try to keep him near that or take him into the bath room and let him breath steam. as long as he is eating and drinking normally you can wait to take him to the vet tomorrow. just make sure you keep him away from other animals in the mean time.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it was kennel cough. He is sleeping now so I think I will try to wait until noon tomorrow after school. He will not be around any other animals.

Another question: the central ac in my apt is broken so maintenance installed a window unit in my bedroom. Now it is freezing in my bedroom, and warm in the rest of the house. Could the weird temperature have anything to do with this? I know the cold in the bedroom is causing me to have serious sinus/allergy/cold problems.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hi Ash, I say kennel cough too - no point in immunising against it though imho, that only protects against a few strains and there's 100's of strains. Anti-biotics & he'll be fine - I prefer that (treatment instead of prevention) having been through it with both my Mastiffs.

The good thing is, as far as I know, he'll have built up an immunity to it as the Vet told me they rarely get the same strain twice, not sure if that's true though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would agree that it sounds like Kennel cough. How is he doing now? Poor Toby! Chloe hates when the bedroom gets cold too. She burrows. Hope he is doing better.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I woke up this morning and he wasn't coughing at all, so I decided to hold off on the vet. He is acting more himself, eating and drinking, urine and stools are normal. If I notice the cough come back or any other symptoms, we will go to the vet.

I read that they can fight kennel cough off on their own. Is that true?

Also- putting his cage in the living room with no air conditioning helped, I think. Hopefully our central ac system will be fixed tomorrow so that we can et rid of this stupid window unit! Both of us have had nothing but problems since its been in.

Thank you all for the well wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

1 - 10 of 10 Posts