Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As some of you know, I've tried bringing Monster Baby to have her spay back in August of 2006. The Vet didn't perform the surgery because Monster Baby still had her baby teeth. Blood work came out normal and the ALT count came out to be a little higher than normal, but nothing serious. The vet suggested that it could be due to Bone structure, baby teeth, etc.

Then in Oct. 2006, she had her first heat...... Fast forward.

Present day: On Tuesday 02/13/07 (yesterday as I am writing this)... Monster Baby was scheduled to be spay, but the Vet didn't perform the surgery again. Her blood count on the ALT count is really high (too much protein, her liver wasn't able to process the good bad and the bad blood).

** Note, for those who knows my situation. I went throught this whole thing with my other girl Tiny (liver, the whole ALT count)**

The vet had notified us that Monster baby's blood will not clot. They decided to cut one of her nail (ouch) and see how long it will take for her to stop the bleeding. It took more than 10 minutes. The vet claimed she has a bleeding disease (hemophilia A: insufficient levels of factor VIII blood clotting factor / I saw this on web somewhere). Then the vet also mentioned this reason could probably due to her upcoming heat cycle... (2 months from now, maybe)

Does anyone here would like to share me their experience(s) and how you handled this situation. How your Vet handled this situation? What did the Vet tell you? Did you ended up spaying your female Chihuahua? What are the symptons, if any? Did you ended up switching their food to Low to Non-protein diet?

And if you can think of anything else that I should and need to know... Please provide as much information as you can.

I am pretty stress out about this. I spent close to $3,000 on different type of tests on Tiny when she had this high ALT count when she was 6-7 months. I don't wish to have to go through this again, but this time with Monster Baby.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Linda, Tiny, & Monster Baby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,182 Posts
I am so sorry Linda, I dont know anything about it but hopefully someone on here will do and might be able to help you.
I hope you get it sorted soon, I bet you are a bit stressed about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,144 Posts
i'm so sorry linda :( poor monster baby :(

i don't know anything about it either i hope someone else does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
I'm sorry about Monster Baby. Hope things turn out OK for her.

I just had one of mine spayed on Tuesday and my vet didn't order any bloodwork prior to it...just brought her in on the assigned day and had it done. Also had another one done the week before and no bloodwork then either. Is getting bloodwork done before spaying the usual thing? If so, I'm wondering why mine doesn't do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
Linda,

I'm sorry you and your babies are having so many problems. Are the two related? Can the breeder help?


Marie,

Boop's vet recommended but didn't require bloodwork ($60) before spaying. After hearing Linda's problems, I think it's a good idea, but I'm surprised she had what must be a rare problem with two different dogs.


Pauline
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,825 Posts
I am very surprised that both chis have the same rare condition also!
I think I would be looking for a second opinion in a different vet office not associated with the first one.

Sorry your having such problems, and I hope everything works out!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,248 Posts
Marie said:
I'm sorry about Monster Baby. Hope things turn out OK for her.

I just had one of mine spayed on Tuesday and my vet didn't order any bloodwork prior to it...just brought her in on the assigned day and had it done. Also had another one done the week before and no bloodwork then either. Is getting bloodwork done before spaying the usual thing? If so, I'm wondering why mine doesn't do it.
The vet ask me with both dogs if I wanted the pre-op blood work done. I had a choice. I had it done with Buford, I did not with Ernie. But it was a choice.

Linda I am sorry about Monster baby. Hope everything works out for you both.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,248 Posts
Pauline Leland said:
Marie,

Boop's vet recommended but didn't require bloodwork ($60) before spaying. After hearing Linda's problems, I think it's a good idea, but I'm surprised she had what must be a rare problem with two different dogs.


Pauline
Is it genetic? Are both dogs from the same breeder?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,628 Posts
I don't think bloodwork is required, but it done pretty commonly. I got it for both my chis. So sorry to hear about Monster Baby Linda! I hope someone on this forum can shed some light on your situation. Good luck!! I will keep your chi in my thoughts and prayers.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top