Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Hi Jenni. :) Exercise is surely part of a healthy weight, but so is a balanced diet. What are you feeding and how much?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Nala has a bit of a weight problem and it seems no matter how much we exercise her and reduce her food intake those stubborn pounds will not budge so I sympathise with you. He is a very handsome boy, though.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
i bet you as he loses it his leg will feel better. I know that's obvious but think of it as extra incentive :)

Google the green bean diet, i've heard of countless success stories with this

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i feel just like hershey sure hope he can loose some weight cause its so hard to get around comfortably with alot of extra weight maybe under vet supervision you and hershey could get some quialityhelp since he cant exercise with his leg condition please keep us posted cause we all love our hershey goodluck

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Welcome, what sweet pups youve got there :)
Oh my goodness! Its hard to tell from your group pic, but all three look very overweight. It is so easy to overfeed a chi without realizing it, I would definitely take a look at what and how much you are feeding.
I know many members here have had luck with the green bean diet, try searching the forum for more details. It can also help to simply mix their food up with some warm water, that way they feel fuller and dont miss the extra food.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
He is certainly a portly fellow! I know it's hard not to give them food when they look at you with those big brown eyes but you need to be strong for the sake of his health.

I freaked out when my little guy got 1/2 a lb over weight, he's very fine boned (ideal weight is just over 4lb) and only young so I wanted to nip it in the bud. First I re-read the feeding instructions on his food (ZiwiPeak) and realised I was being too generous so I cut his portions back to just under the recommendation. I limited jerky treats from once a day to only about 3x a week. I stopped giving any little offcuts from the kitchen there and then and saved them in tupperware in the fridge and made them part of a proper meal so he wasnt getting any sneaky extras along the way. Hopefully if you try these tips you will see an improvement in Hershey.

We're about a month down the track and Axle has definitely lost weight (I haven't been to the vet to weigh him but he no longer has muffin top in his harness) so i'm keeping him on this plan for the forseeable future. It's hard because he does beg for food but I know its the best thing for him.

Let us know how Hershey goes with his weightloss progress and don't hesitate to ask for further advice :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to you all. I am glad for the tips and I am also working him into more of a green bean diet. All three of my chis are larger in build, I have no small chis, but Sassy is very trim and has never had a problem. Jax is only about a pound overweight. He has always done fairly well. They all have actually lost about a pound. I thank you all for welcoming us and I sure will enjoy seeing your little darlings.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
All of mine except Finn are on a restricted diet. Absolutely no table scraps, all meals measured, and treats are limited and monitored. I know that sounds awful, but that's how things are. I also believe in exercise--even a walk down the driveway is a start. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
My Izzy tends to pack on the pounds...she isn't a big eater, just unfortunate that way...I have found giving her green beans and fresh green peppers as part of her meal and for treats helps......now that weather is nicer she is more active also....your fellow having a bad leg is going to hamper his activity level...has the DVM said how much he can tolerate ? In water exercises might help his leg and waist line, but only with the DVMs blessings....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.