Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lex is seriously a Poop-Machine!! haha, its driving me nuts!! He's 4 1/2 months old and so he gets many meals throughout the day since he's a growing puppy and everything. And I'm going through Potty Training with him, which is very difficult if he's pooping every hour it seems like! He's puppy pad trained, he never goes on the carpet which is good but i have to clean those constantly. I started to limit his food intake by having him eat a good full meal in the morning and then another full meal in the evening. That didnt minimize much at all. I'm sure this is completely normal but I'm trying to find some way to minimize the constant pooping. He goes outside at least every 2 hours a day, which should be quite enough, but nope he still some how goes to the bathroom outside and then somehow goes again inside after about an hour afterwards. I have no idea how he does it. I've never in my life seen a dog go number 2 as much as him! I just recently lessened his intake again, 2 meals a day but not as much. Only 1 meal a day wouldnt be enough for him would it? I wouldnt think so for a puppy. I dunno, any of you have poop-machines? .....uh oh .....i smell something... :shock:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper was a poop monster until about 6 months of age, when he finally figured out he could hold it for a while and didn't have to go the moment he felt it.

Are you kenneling yours during the day? At 4 - 5 months, he should be able to hold his stuff for about 4 hours. There's the old addage: a dog won't poop where it sleeps - I found it to be true when I was training my boy. I kept him kenneled, even when I was home, and let him out to do his business and play every so often. I found it hard to "ignore' this cute little puppy but, at the same time, it make the transfer outdoors SO much easier once he learned when the kennel door opens, we potty then we play.

Good luck! I wish I could be more help but I'm sure someone else can offer some suggestions. :D

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think you should still be feeding him ATLEAST 3 times a day. Its not really fair to him that he doesnt get to eat as much because you dont like cleaning up poop, but i know it stinks. One time i woke up and found 8 poops in the kitchen from the pups. 4 were big and 4 were small so i assuming that each pooped four times. but they maybe poop twice throughout the entire day, its quite odd. And about an hour after i cleaned up the poop they both pooped again. It was amazing, i didnt think their little bodies could produce so much poop!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I'm sorry I have to make this comment too, you are probably not going to like it.

At 4 months of age he is STILL growing and needs to eat as much as he wants! Don't limit his food intake you are going to cause him health problems.

How about switching to a better quality food instead?
You didn't say what brand you are feeding him. The better quality foods have less filler so they don't poop as much.

Hopefully you were just not thinking about what you are doing. Not feeding an animal enough does fall under the "cruelty to animals" catagory. Ever heard of malnutrition?

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Ms_P said:
I'm sorry I have to make this comment too, you are probably not going to like it.

At 4 months of age he is STILL growing and needs to eat as much as he wants! Don't limit his food intake you are going to cause him health problems.

You didn't say what brand you are feeding him. The better quality foods have less filler so they don't poop as much.

Hopefully you were just not thinking about what you are doing. Not feeding an animal enough does fall under the "cruelty to animals" catagory. Ever heard of malnutrition?
I think that's a bit harsh. I think she's quite young and possibly isn't as well informed about these things as she could be. I'm sure she'll go back to feeding him more often. Do we really want to discourage her from asking more questions in the future? :?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
Ms_P said:

I think that's a bit harsh. I think she's quite young and possibly isn't as well informed about these things as she could be. I'm sure she'll go back to feeding him more often. Do we really want to discourage her from asking more questions in the future? :?
I agree those comments are a little harsh. She may not be well informed, but at least she knows enough to ask questions and after all, that is one of the reasons this forum is here.

I do agree the quality of the food rather than the quantity could be partially at fault. What food are you feeding? Maybe switching to a better quality food with fewer fillers would help. Puppies do tend to poop quite a bit though. If he seems to be healthy and has a good appetite, I really don't think it is anything to be too concerned about.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
JAYNE said:
Tyson is a poop machine too !! i asked the vet if it was normal cos i have never had a dog poop so much!!
:D
He does all his poops outside , so far we havnt done number 2's indoors but im not counting my chickens!!
Don't worry!! You'll find little Tyson poops under your bed VERY soon!! Then, you'll be like the rest of us. :lol:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx guys. And yes "Ms_P" i DO know what malnutrition means. I'm not an idiot. But thanx for your "kind" advice. :booty:

Anyways. :D I didn't take away much food. Mostly I arrange better eating times. I've got him in routine with going outside and he's getting used that, i want to get him on a routine on eating. I've had him practically since he was a newborn. And he has rarely ever touched his afternoon meals, I'd give him a cup full and he'd only eat maybe a quarter of it, but in the morning after he wakes up he eats a cup and half and then in the evening he'll eat another cup and half. I think he likes his 3 cups a day. :) And I DONT mind cleaning up after him at all I have 6 dogs and 3 cats! lol...i think i can manage that. I just wanted to help with him going so much. It concerned me a little when I'd wake early in the morning to let him out that there would be at least 5 piles of poo from him. Even if the night before was let out and had gone the restroom. I figured I was feeding him way to much. :) Thanx for those of u how were nice and giving me advice....

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'm going to take a guess and say he's probably hitting a growth spurt about now, so he's taking in a lot of food and ... what goes in, must come out! :shock:

I agree with your feeding schedule, too - it's best to arrange those things where you'll be there for the evacuation so it makes it easier to train.

Cooper has never eaten more than one meal a day, by the way. I got him at 6 - 7 weeks of age and he has been fed at 5pm on the dot ever since. He had no problem with that at all, that I could tell. As you can see by my siggy, he IS starved though. (not)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hehe, Cooper looks fit, he such a cutie!! Lex is only 4lbs, so I would think 3 cups of food would be enough, I dont want to limit him like everyone said since he's only 4 1/2 months, but I dont want to feed him too much. I filled his bowl with 1 1/2 cups of food and he ate about a cup. I'm going to let him out again tonite for a little bit. I'm trying your advice too with the Kenneling. I had him in a "Pen" it was 3 feet by 3 feet. But I have a smaller Kennel for him too, so I'm trying that tonite and see if he does anything, he shouldnt otherwise he'd be sleeping in that stuff. We will see how it goes, maybe this will be the trick. :D

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I can honestly say that I have not or will not ever find Gadget poop under my bed.... My bed is so close to the ground that he can't get under the bed.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
I can honestly say that I have not or will not ever find Gadget poop under my bed.... My bed is so close to the ground that he can't get under the bed.
LOL you're one of the lucky ones. I haven't found any poop under my bed since Cooper was about 9 months old, thanks to the red balloon trick. :D
Oddly enough though, he runs under there all the time when he's hiding from me or just when he feels like it. He knows he's not allowed in there but for some reason, he's gotta go under the bed. But I guess everyone already knows he's a weirdo anyway. :lol:

Oopps... I had to come back and edit. Good luck with the kenneling idea! I hope it works for you and that your baby doesn't cry too too much. :D

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
TiffsLilChi said:
Thanx guys. And yes "Ms_P" i DO know what malnutrition means. I'm not an idiot. But thanx for your "kind" advice. :booty:

Anyways. :D I didn't take away much food. Mostly I arrange better eating times. I've got him in routine with going outside and he's getting used that, i want to get him on a routine on eating. I've had him practically since he was a newborn. And he has rarely ever touched his afternoon meals, I'd give him a cup full and he'd only eat maybe a quarter of it, but in the morning after he wakes up he eats a cup and half and then in the evening he'll eat another cup and half. I think he likes his 3 cups a day. :) And I DONT mind cleaning up after him at all I have 6 dogs and 3 cats! lol...i think i can manage that. I just wanted to help with him going so much. It concerned me a little when I'd wake early in the morning to let him out that there would be at least 5 piles of poo from him. Even if the night before was let out and had gone the restroom. I figured I was feeding him way to much. :) Thanx for those of u how were nice and giving me advice....
Hey! I can do that too! :booty:

You know it's funny how the post before mine esentually said the same as mine, yet you guys pick my post to trash. LOL I don't care though.

Just don't take your feelings for me out on that cute little pup you've got.
Someone has to look out for him, since he can't talk. Hopefully now you'll get on that schedule and keep feeding him. After all HIS health is what's important here right? Some people need a little "harshness" to realize what their doing is not correct.
I hope he grows up strong and healthy and fits in well with all your other pets. Best of luck to ya and that little cutie!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
you havent told us what brand food your feeding.
most poeple dont realize that some ingredients (fillers) do cause the animal eating it to poop more...as poop is just the things that cant be digested. so the higher quality food you give them the less poop there will be because their bodies can digest more of the ingredients...
does that make sense? my brains a little wishywashy right now.

try avoiding store brands or anything with corn and other fillers listed high in the ingredients list...
first few ingredients should be meat.

youll find this with ANY specieis of animal, dog cat ferret, the better quailty food you feed them the less poop there will be.

you will also notice that this will usually eliminate poop odor, they poop less and you might find they eat less because there etting the good stuff they need

but rember if switching food, do so slowly.

i personally free feed, all our dos through my entire life are free fed from day one. and weve never had a weight problem, both our current babies are ideal weight as have all our others.
but it is of course whatever feeding method works best for you and your pup. good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It is best to keep a schedule and it is also important of the food you are feeding. If the body is not retaining the food and it is just being passed through the body its time to look for a better quality of food

1 - 17 of 17 Posts