Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we first got Gunner I let him sleep with me. I would get up and down with him during the night if we got wiggly. Take him outside to do his business. Then hubby got home from work and couldn't deal with Gun being in the bed. So to his crate he went. I changed the sheets and I was like, "What the heck is THAT?" It was obvious liquids had left huge spots all over my bed. But it did NOT smell like urine at all. So I kept saying that it couldn't be Gunner pee. Just couldn't be. Hubby just left to go back to work so Gun has been back in the bed with me. Lo and behold. He got wiggly one night and my hand landed right in a warm spot. He has been peeing in my bed! 1)How aggravating and gross. 2) I'm sad because now I can't let him sleep with me! I love having a lil chi snuggle partner :-(

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Could he be licking himself? My Billy constantly licks his front legs/feet and when he's done, there is warm wet spots in my bed. Since it doesn't smell of pee, it very well be he's licking instead. Because, believe me, if it was pee, you'd smell it. Tico sometimes forgets and pees in the bed. And I can always tell. And Delilah and Lexxi love licking my bed or pillow. They smell something they like and will lick a big wet spot.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
could it be vomit? Jerry throws up a tiny bit of bile any time that he is
very hungry and hasn't eaten breakfast yet. it leaves a wet spot on the
kitchen floor.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's still hard to say what the dry spots on the mattress are. But the warm spot my hand landed in was DEF pee. It smelled like it. And his little weewee was still wet cuz he had just done it.
I might would still give him the benefit of the doubt on the dried ring spots on mattress. BUT they weren't there the last time I changed sheets. It's down toward the bottom of the mattress (near the feet) so what else could it possibly be? My husband and I didn't pee that far down, we haven't had wet feet, it couldn't be any other type of, um, bodily fluids. So it has to be pee. Every so often I clean my mattress with oxi. So I wonder if that has neutralized the pee odor?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Can you get one of the wewe wraps put on him when he comes to bed. He is so young might just leak, when I took to Amberleah msu they told me this. That there little bladder aren't strong enough yet.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WeeWee wrap? Lemme look into that. I'm gonna guess that he's peeing way way more than it will hold but I still wanna see!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered one to try from Etsy. There were so many choices and fabric types! After I try this one, we'll see if I want more. I hope this is the answer so he'll still be able to sleep with mama.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
My dogs do have a hard time holding it through the night. I have pee pads in my room. They jump down to use them, then whine until I lift them up again. It's mostly my two youngest boys that can't seem to hold it all night. And in the morning, it's Tico that needs them.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Why not get him his own bed? Especially since hubby doesn't like the pup in bed, and he
hasn't learned to hold it yet. It's healthy for the pup to have his own little nest. You can
always cuddle during day time. I find letting pups sleep in our beds spoils them, not to
mention it can become dangerous if he falls off or if you roll onto him in your sleep.
Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My dogs do have a hard time holding it through the night. I have pee pads in my room. They jump down to use them, then whine until I lift them up again. It's mostly my two youngest boys that can't seem to hold it all night. And in the morning, it's Tico that needs them.
That was almost a great idea for us. My bed is really high. Waaay higher than a couch. Wouldn't want him to jump down even if he could. And being that he's 5 months old (as of yday!), he still doesn't have the pee-and-poop-where-mom-wants-you-to down just yet.
thanks for the suggestion though. U never know when will work for someone.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Why not get him his own bed? Especially since hubby doesn't like the pup in bed, and he
hasn't learned to hold it yet. It's healthy for the pup to have his own little nest. You can
always cuddle during day time. I find letting pups sleep in our beds spoils them, not to
mention it can become dangerous if he falls off or if you roll onto him in your sleep.
Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck. :)
He has his own bed (in the living room) and a comfy crate (in the laundry room). I just like sleeping with a small pet. I don't mind a little spoiling in certain areas.;) As long as they can easily transition back to their own space when I need them to (which he does).

ETA: My husband works off for a month a time. He doesn't mind dogs sleeping in our bed, he just doesn't like to be in the bed with them. Gunner, for some reason, loves to all of sudden attack hubby's face with kisses randomly during the night. He doesn't do that to me though. So it keeps hubby awake. Which is why I'm happy that Gun now easily transitions from bed to crate.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
He has his own bed (in the living room) and a comfy crate (in the laundry room). I just like sleeping with a small pet. I don't mind a little spoiling in certain areas.;) As long as they can easily transition back to their own space when I need them to (which he does).

ETA: My husband works off for a month a time. He doesn't mind dogs sleeping in our bed, he just doesn't like to be in the bed with them. Gunner, for some reason, loves to all of sudden attack hubby's face with kisses randomly during the night. He doesn't do that to me though. So it keeps hubby awake. Which is why I'm happy that Gun now easily transitions from bed to crate.
It's good to hear that he can easily transition, that's awesome for such a
young pup! :) I don't blame you for wanting a snuggle buddy, especially with
hubby gone for so long.(I don't know how you do it :() As puppies my guys were
not allowed to sleep anywhere but their beds. Now I don't mind them sleeping
in the bed, but as long as it is on my terms you know? My guys are allowed on
the bed and couches, but if I want them off they will get off without any
problems, on command. Some dogs become so possessive and spoiled they
won't let their owners use the bed or couch, that becomes a problem. My
trick is to use tough love when they are pups and let them sleep in their own
beds no matter how much they whine about it. The only one that I don't feel
comfortable with on the bed is Chanel, she's tiny and our bed is way to high,
if she fell off I'd never forgive myself. Because it has happened a couple times
that Rocky or Benji fell off, but they are almost 30lbs each and much taller
than Chanel, so the fall didn't do any harm.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I have 9 dogs that sleep in my bed and I have never rolled over on one... :)
But I bet they roll over onto you! haha! :lol:
I don't know how you do it, Benji and Rocky at times fall asleep with hubby,
but once it's time for me to go to bed I kick them off, there is no room for all
of us...maybe I need a king size bed,lol. And you are lucky to have a low bed,
mine is so high if Chanel jumped off she'd break something for sure.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Mine actually is extremely high. It's a queen pillowtop mattress and springs on a waterbed platform. Only Lexxi, Iris and Marmalade can jump straight on it. Gonzo jumps on the platform and then on the bed, the rest I lift. Only Twiggy isn't allowed on the bed, she's only 2 pounds 14 oz and was run over by a car before I got her. She has a bad leg which most of the time she holds up which makes her lurch when she walks and I do not want her lurching off the bed and hurting herself worse. But they all jump off it except Billy and Tico. Those two will only get down if I lift them down.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's good to hear that he can easily transition, that's awesome for such a
young pup! :) I don't blame you for wanting a snuggle buddy, especially with
hubby gone for so long.(I don't know how you do it :() As puppies my guys were
not allowed to sleep anywhere but their beds. Now I don't mind them sleeping
in the bed, but as long as it is on my terms you know? My guys are allowed on
the bed and couches, but if I want them off they will get off without any
problems, on command. Some dogs become so possessive and spoiled they
won't let their owners use the bed or couch, that becomes a problem. My
trick is to use tough love when they are pups and let them sleep in their own
beds no matter how much they whine about it. The only one that I don't feel
comfortable with on the bed is Chanel, she's tiny and our bed is way to high,
if she fell off I'd never forgive myself. Because it has happened a couple times
that Rocky or Benji fell off, but they are almost 30lbs each and much taller
than Chanel, so the fall didn't do any harm.
I agree. I don't stand for territorial behavior. The other day Gunner was sitting in my lap and one of my daughter's approached. His little growl led to a quick correction and some time on the floor!
I will say I caved a little when we first got him. I felt sorry for him going straight from his mom and littermate to all by himself in a cave. I couldn't do it for the first few nights at home. Then when I felt like he was comfy with his surroundings (and hubby was tired of the licking and wiggling) he went to the crate. He has no probs with staying in his crate now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts