Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A tip for unenthusiastic eaters.

Martini gets 3 meals a day, but always seems kind of uninterested. I know he's hungry because he'll do anything for a piece of kibble out of my hand as a reward, but he's not big on the concept of sitting in the kitchen away from the family, eating out of a bowl. What I've started doing is filling up one of these with his kibble (Royal Canin Mini) and he'll obsess over that thing until every piece has been eaten.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have one of those slow eaters too. She'll eat a kibble or two at a time throughout the day rather than stand at her food bowl and eat. I worry sometimes that she is not getting adequate nutrition. She doesn't look thin and is very active though. I saw something similar to this at Petsmart a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't think about putting her kibble in it. Think it said something like "use for treats, etc". Hmmm - that's an idea. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
vixies a real slow eater too, i put her given amount in a bolw and leave it down all dya and she helps herslef, ive found she likes to have like 2 peices every couple of hours or so... she usually eats her exact requirement but it takes her from 8am-10pm to do it lol. but weve always fed our dogs like that...i know alot of chis just like to eat a little bit at a time...i also found she likes a tiny bit of wet food in the afternoon (i prefer dry cause it keeps the teeth clean but if the wet (usually a teaspoon-half tub of ceasars) keeps her apitite healthy its all good (i like the wet cause its a little bit of a flavour change...i mean how would you like eating the Exact same thing every day?) sometimes ill add some peas or carrots or other healthy fresh stuff to her food too just to mix things up and keep her interested.
chis seem to be the gourmets of the canine world lol.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
with chiwi i put her measured amount in a bowl and throughout the day just take some out an dput it on the floor for her to eat, since she will walk over to the bowl to let me know she wants food but won't eat unless it's off the floor. i may have to try that toy thing, since sometimes she has to bat her food around before chowing down.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That is a really nice toy! I would like get one to put in Pebblz cage when I go out to the store.

Pebblz eats Royal Canin twice a day (slightly moisted with warm water)-breakfast time and dinner time. She gets a chicken jerky stip at lunch time. This works well, because when she was able to nibble I couldn't predict her bowel movements. Now they are on schedule. This has made housebreaking ALOT easier, since I know when she is going to go potty.

Davena

1 - 6 of 6 Posts