Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I’ve been looking around this site a bit the past few days and have finally decided to take the plunge and join! I’m going to try and make this as painless as possible, but I feel that I must tell you about me, so bare with me!

I’m Christie, I’m 17 and I LOVE animals! I don’t have a Chihuahua…yet…. As you can see from the name, I’m thinking of becoming a vet! Not just for domestic animals, but for exotics. I currently have an Australian Shepard (he’s the best dog in the world!) and 4 lizards! lol I know, I know… “what! Lizards?! omg! Ewww. She must be soooo weird!” lol I’m used to that type of reaction, but what can I say, I love pretty much all animals and my lizards are awesome! You can usually find me on reptile forums, I have the same name everywhere to be easier. So besides being an animaholic, I love shopping, snowboarding and playin the drums for fun! Anyways, on to Chihuahuas…

I have always wanted a small little dog that I can dress up and put it in my purse and take it everywhere with me. (lol I sound so materialistic and not that I actually care for the animal itself, but I do! I promise!) Out of the toy breeds, I find Chihuahuas to be the cutest and I am just drawn to their appearance. I want one a “teacup” Chihuahua, like most people, I have to have the tiniest dog possible! I did not realize until browsing this site that there is no such thing! I was in shock lol but I’ll probably still buy from a breeder that has tiny teacup like babies. I also have to have a female because my other dog is a male, and it’s not that he doesn’t get along with other males, he just obviously wants to be the dominant one and brining another male into his territory (the house) may not be too good. I also want to name her Paris! I think this is adorable and unique, it will go well with my other odd animal names…TC (dog), Madonna, Elvis, Tessa and Gigi (the lizards).

So why don’t I have this puppy now you may be wondering? I have parents who admit they are NOT animal people. It is a miracle that I have the animals I do! They do really like the dog (who wouldn’t!?) but are not fond of the lizards. To make a long story short, I’m not really allowed to have any more pets… but my sister is! So this dog is going to be both of ours. She is 13 in like 3 days and between the 2 of us, we can take great care of the new baby Chihuahua! So I am sneakily talking the parents into letting “us” get this dog even though I’m not supposed to have anymore. Hehehe J Now you’re probably thinking, gee you both are somewhat young and you have school! Well, I’m being home schooled this second semester (long story, moved here from out of state last summer, complete craziness lol ) So, I am home during the days which will definitely come in handy for housebreaking! I got TC when I was 12, with a little help from my mom, we had him housebroken in 3 days!!! I have quite a bit of experience with animals, so training the dog won’t be a problem.

Another thing holding my parents back is that they think that Chihuahuas are all the same… yappy little dogs that pee everywhere. I am trying to tell them this is not true, all animals are individuals and with the proper care, my chi pup will be an excellent pet! It also didn’t help that when we first bought this house, the previous owners had 4 chihuahuas… when we came to look at it, we were warned NOT to go out into the fenced in backyard because the people had dogs and were worried they might bite and be mean…my sister and I ran to the back window when we first got there and laughed because we were expecting big, mean dogs, not cute little ones! I had to really hold myself back, I wanted to badly to run over and scoop one up. But they were indeed yappy AND there were pee stains underneath the couches which the people covered up! Gross! When my mom was younger, her aunt had a Chihuahua and all it would do is pee on people when they came over…see why the parents don’t want this type of dog? They’ve had not the greatest experience with them. But on the bright side, a few days ago my mom and little sister saw a couple taking a walk with 4 dogs. They had 2 border collies, 1 Australian Shepard and 1 chihuahua!! That PROVED to her that an Aussie and a Chi could get along just fine!

Now I’m just doing my research, I admit that I don’t really know that much info on Chihuahuas, so any extra tips would be great! I am one for doing all the research before buying the pet!! Trust me, I freak out at people on lizard forums who buy on impulse without even knowing anything about the lizard except what the pet store people told them! (By the way, most pet store employees don’t know anything about lizards, whenever I am at the pet store, I answer other people reptile questions because they employees don’t know! Lol That’s pretty sad and usually makes the employees angry but hey I want the people to know actual facts, not a bunch of false info they tell people to get them to buy stuff).

Well I hope I haven’t put you to sleep with this long boring story! lol Hope to talk to you all more soon about Chihuahuas and I’m looking forward to learning more about these wonderful little animals! Thanks for reading!

~Christie

P.S. here's a pic of me and my dog!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
WELCOME!!! :wave: :wave:

For tips well they are all over this board....and its huge so there is a search engine for whatever specifics you are looking for...and now that you know there is no such thing as a T-cup please refrain from using it in your terminology (tends to get us all riled up LOL ) do know how hard it is to keep all these members calm? LOL I'm just teasing but it really can be offensive to us.
Lots of people learned great info here myself included. We have a wonderful bunch and we all have our speciality. Thanks for wanting to be a vet we can never have too much. When you get your chi just make sure you check the breeder out well and make sure they are bred for good temperment. :D

ps -- if you do your homework you will find the "smaller" ones tend to have health issues...........so what is "little" may be alot of work and expense.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Hi and Welcome :hello2:

There is a lot of info on this site and a lot of opinions too!

If your really want a chi, it would be best to look for a pup with the "chi" personality.
Most reputable breeders will not sell a tiny chi to a first time owner because of the extra concerns. If you do manage to find someone that will sell you one, you can bet that it is going to have health issues.
A 5 or 6 pound dog really is pretty small and is still able to be carried around in a "purse".
Please take your time, do more research and don't rush into anything.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
gigi is very striking... and tc, he looks fun!

yeah those terms t-cup, tiny t-cup and micro mini is just a nice way of saying very small.... smaller than usual...... and you can never be too too sure of the size at a young age.

welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :wave: You will get great advice and info here on taking care of your chi! If your parents are having second thoughts about getting a chi, you just tell them to come on this forum and see how great and sweet little dogs they are! Plus after all the pictures of everybody's adorable chi's how can they not say 'yes'? Hope that you enjoy it here! :D

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wave: WELCOME :wave: and lizards are cool! :wink: Tho, nothing like lizards I used to have frogs..so, I don't think you'll find anybody saying "ew, gross" :lol: at least they won't post it! :lol:

Great on thinking to buy a Chi but like everybody said make sure you do good research..the smallest do tend to have problems just ask the few who have them on the board..another thing..they might seem small when puppies but just like humans they hit growth spurs and they can turn out to be a 10lb Chi! :D Happy reading! :wave:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :) My best advice for you is to read through all of the posts on the Chi Forum. That's what I did when I found this place last June. It truly is a gold-mine of wonderful info on the breed.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
welcome! aww lizards are cool, my twin has a baby western hognose snake! And omg girls please dont think i cant have a chi because my snake might eat it, the snakes no bigger then a worm! lol well thats a bit o.t.t but hes soooooooooo little anyways, no bigger then 30cm long,1 cm wide! lol

xx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! :wave: I just reread my post...oh my! look at those spelling mistakes! :oops: eek that's what happens when you try to think clearly at 1am! hehe

I'm so glad I joined this forum, I will continue to do research and hopefully some day soon, get my very own chihuahua! There are about 7 adds in the paper of chi puppies for sale, it's all a matter of finding the perfect one!

Thanks for the compliments on my lizards! They are really great! Madonna and Elvis are bearded dragons, Gigi is a leopard gecko and Tessa is a crazy tegu! Fizzys mum, your bearded dragons look awesome!! Arent they just the best pets!! 8) Also, since the snake eating a chi was brought up, I just wanted to let you all know that my lizards are all in locked tanks in a separate room that the chi will never enter unless they're all in their cages. All the lizards are relatively small....but Tessa will grow up to be a big girl, yet again, I never let my animals interact with each because I dont want to risk anything. TC is a great dog though and he gets along with other dogs really well! Ok I've rambled on enough!
~Christie

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
that's great you err on the side of caution with your animals interacting with each other. i'm very obsessive compulsive about things like that. i cringe whenever i see a dog off the leash walking with the owner. i don't care what dog it might be or how well trained it is, i still get nervous and think to myself get a leash on that baby!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
luvmypuppet said:
that's great you err on the side of caution with your animals interacting with each other. i'm very obsessive compulsive about things like that. i cringe whenever i see a dog off the leash walking with the owner. i don't care what dog it might be or how well trained it is, i still get nervous and think to myself get a leash on that baby!
I'm Just the same , hate the thought of anything bad ever happening to an animal ( anyones not just mine)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts