Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just call me Toki, or Cheshire either is fine with me. I'm 19years old, studying for a diploma in Vet Assistant. College is not really for me, and memory is not always my best subject after two concussions. Animals have always been my passion and I'd be happy and at home working at a humane society, or a vet clinic. I currently live on a farm, own three horses, one snake, my chihuahua which I have not brought home yet, two other dogs, twenty one plus cattle counting calves, couple of chickens and some rabbits, three cats. I still live with my family, cost so much to live on your own. With my horses I'd have to have land, but the others I actually own myself are, my cat Fawkes, my ball python Ezio, my chihuahua Aiyana's Ren(could not decide whether to call her Aiyana or Ren XD she's papered so...) so I own six animals myself. So I'll have to have land, I have never owned a Chi-Chi before. I'll attach pictures that were texted to me of her. She was born November 11th so she's not yet eight weeks old. I'd love advice for her care, I'll have a cage for her, I'll put lots of blankets in it so she can borrow. I'm not working right now so I can devote lots of time to her, expect when I'm working with the horses. She can lay by me while I study as I study at home. So the only time she would not be with me is during feeding, and when I work with my horses. Otherwise, she can be with me 24/7 and i'm prepared to take her out regularly for chances to use the bathroom.

My questions are: 1. what to look for health wise, though this breeder I am getting her from has been a friend of my family for a long time and I have seen him only produce healthy puppies, he does not breed them all the time so she has been reserved since before she was conceived.
2. Is watered down dog food okay, or am I better off getting small dog puppy food, and which kind is good but not to expensive
3. I was thinking of getting her a jacket when she is bigger, and if she would be okay out there with me when I take her to the bathroom(live n missouri)
4. My bed is not close to the ground so is it better to let her sleep in the cage then on the bed with me. My cat lays by me all the time, and she is good with dogs and even cuddles them, so I'm used to not rolling over or anything. I'm just worried about her getting hurt trying to get off my bed cause she is so small.
5. What harnesses are most comfortable and affordable, I refuse to use a collar for more than a dog tag with my name and number on it, when I go to town of course, or take her somewhere with me.
6. Any advice is appreciated :D I want her to be all ready for her and to help her settle in. I am ready to comment to her for her entire life

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
She looks adorable. The book Chihuahuas For Dummies is an excellent book, despite its name. I know you know enough not to let the python around the puppy!! Just gives me shivers thinking of what might happen! Hope the snake is out of the house! A good puppy food is nice, although most premium foods are for 'all ages'. Look at the labels. Alot of people on this forum use raw food. I use alot of pre-made raw like Stella & Chewies. I mix it with a grain free kibble. Good luck. Sue

·
Registered
655 Posts
She's a sweetie! My chi mix loves to burrow
under the covers and I hear this is a
common chihuahua thing. She may make
the decision for you! Congrats on your
new chi baby!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts