Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just going to help myself if you don't mind. :lol:

One of my little wild squirrels trying to get into his food bag. They know where I keep it. They are so cute!!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
omg LOL!!!! that is beyond cute! oh yea if u like squirrels ur gonna love the post i made in the long name post

edit: oops u already saw it hehehe!!! :coolwink:
They are just the sweetest lil things!! I love to watch them nibble their food from their teeny lil hands. :)

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I had a baby squirrel about 3 years ago over the winter. I found it on the ground opposite my house, we have very large trees there. I think it had fallen out. I watched it for a while and the mother never came for it. It looked at me with these huge brown eyes and that was it! I stuck it down the front if my top (not a good idea, it was covered in fleas!) and it went to sleep, poor little thing. Any who, I fed it puppy milk to start with using a pipette and kept it in a bird cage. We would let it out every day and it would zoom up and down the curtains, legs, whatever was in its way. It liked to sit on your head, my daughter in law was absolutely terrified of it which caused me great amusement. We called it Squibble. I did have photos but I dropped the phone they were on down the loo! Anyway, about March when he was all grown up and nice and fat I contacted a chap who had a squirrel sanctuary, I wanted him to help to release him slowly and somewhere safe. Apparently it's illegal to release a squirrel into the wild as here they are considered vermin. Wasn't to be, he got out of his cage one day and we were waiting to go out somewhere important and just couldn't catch him to put him back. We couldn't leave him running round the house as they do alot of damage and he was a cable chewer. We let him out the back door, it was a lovely day. He hung around for about ten minutes then was gone! I always wonder how he got on, bless him

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
omg LOL!!!! that is beyond cute! oh yea if u like squirrels ur gonna love the post i made in the long name post

edit: oops u already saw it hehehe!!! :coolwink:
They are so cute!!! We've been feeding them for awhile, so they just make their self at home. :lol:

PS- I responded to your post twice. My excuse, it's 4 AM, and half asleep. :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a baby squirrel about 3 years ago over the winter. I found it on the ground opposite my house, we have very large trees there. I think it had fallen out. I watched it for a while and the mother never came for it. It looked at me with these huge brown eyes and that was it! I stuck it down the front if my top (not a good idea, it was covered in fleas!) and it went to sleep, poor little thing. Any who, I fed it puppy milk to start with using a pipette and kept it in a bird cage. We would let it out every day and it would zoom up and down the curtains, legs, whatever was in its way. It liked to sit on your head, my daughter in law was absolutely terrified of it which caused me great amusement. We called it Squibble. I did have photos but I dropped the phone they were on down the loo! Anyway, about March when he was all grown up and nice and fat I contacted a chap who had a squirrel sanctuary, I wanted him to help to release him slowly and somewhere safe. Apparently it's illegal to release a squirrel into the wild as here they are considered vermin. Wasn't to be, he got out of his cage one day and we were waiting to go out somewhere important and just couldn't catch him to put him back. We couldn't leave him running round the house as they do alot of damage and he was a cable chewer. We let him out the back door, it was a lovely day. He hung around for about ten minutes then was gone! I always wonder how he got on, bless him

Awwwww! What a sweet story!!! That's so wonderful that you saved him. They are just the cutest lil things. I love to watch them eat. We have 2 lil black ones here too, which is uncommon in our area. They'll all pretty much take food from your hand. I laugh when they try helping themselves to their food. :lol:

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I love squirrels,we have Red Squirrels and Grey, the Red are just beautfiul, they are the cutest little things ever.

Love how yours know exactly where to go for their food! they are such smart little things :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love squirrels,we have Red Squirrels and Grey, the Red are just beautfiul, they are the cutest little things ever.

Love how yours know exactly where to go for their food! they are such smart little things :)
Oh I've never seen a red one. I bet they are beautiful! I can sit out there and watch them for hours nibbling their corn and seeds.

The first time they tried helping themselves to their food I was shocked. Now we just giggle. :lol:

·
Registered
514 Posts

Aww, bless you for saving the little guy and nursing him back to health! :) What a sweet, fun story! :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
Oh so cute!! :D Quite a few years ago, I saw an injured baby squirrel in the street a few houses down from us. All I could think about was how I just had to save this little thing before it got run over!...so I didn't take the time to grab protective gloves. I gently scooped him up and headed to our house, and then he bit me! I honestly can't say as I blame him, bless his little heart. He was just hurt and scared. I called our local chapter of Wildlife Rescue, and they had me take him to one of the volunteer's homes. Unfortunately, despite their care and knowledge, he died the next day. :( Even though he didn't appear severely injured outwardly (although both back legs were limp/he couldn't move them), they think he must've sustained internal injuries too. He was tested for rabies and, needless to say, I was QUITE relieved to find out that he tested negative!! Lesson learned! --NEVER rescue any wild creature without protective gloves on! By following that rule ever since, I've managed to keep from getting bit again, while still saving/delivering to Wildlife Rescue a few other injured and/or abandoned juveniles (birds and bunnies) over the years. When I have more time/when our kids are grown, I would love to volunteer with WR myself.

·
Registered
514 Posts
These fun squirrel pics also bring back fond memories of my Mom and I feeding the neighborhood squirrels when I was growing up. :) They would literally come take food right out of your hand! (as long as the piece was big enough that they didn't have to come too close--ie an in-the-shell peanut held out length-wise, or a long piece of toast). Yes, these squirrels liked toast, LOL! :D One of our neighbors was a retired gentlemen who spent hours every day for months getting the squirrels in the area to come closer and closer to him, using food as a lure! Eventually they would take food from his hand, and after that they decided all humans were fair game, and they'd approach anyone who had food, as long as you held still and didn't talk or make much noise. We had no idea back then that squirrels can carry rabies! It was so much fun though, and thinking back on those memories has me smiling as I type this. :love2:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
That is so cute T!
When I lived in West Virginia we had so many squirrels! I used to sit on the porch and watch the squirrels 3 or 4 at a time just running down the electric lines to get from one place to another.
I am amazed at the squirrels here in Texas because they let you get so close to them. West Virginia must have skittish squirrels compared to Texas.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I love squirrels...rabbits..... I miss wildlife living citylife.... I miss my 'ol Ky home... here in Maryland there are completely BLACK squirrels in the city... freaked me out when I first saw them..... they are only in one section of the town too......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts