Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I just discovered this community and it couldn’t have come at a better time. I’m currently without a chi companion for the first time in 16 years. Sadly, I just lost my last pup to uncontrollable seizures this past June. I rescued 2 chihuahua mixes and one purebred chihuahua over the last 16 years. (If you check out my profile I talk about the history of each of my special pups there.)
I’m preparing to try something completely new to me. I’m planning to get a chi puppy from a breeder. I’ve only ever did rescues before and, though I still support that route whole-heartedly, I’d like the experience of raising up a pup that has had the very best start possible. I am recovering from surgery right now so I’m using this time to do a lot of research. I am learning all I can about how to find ethical, caring breeders, what special needs a chihuahua puppy has, and how to start off training on the right paw. I’m hoping to have chosen a breeder (or two) to work with by September. Hopefully, soonish after that I will be bringing home my new chi companion.
I look forward to getting to know you all and learning everything I can.
Have a wonderful weekend!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've done both with different dog breeds. My 2 chi's, both longhair are one of each right now. Funny, Phoebe my blonde deer head chi is the rescue. She has the most calm temperament of the two and is the most affectionate. Very well adjusted.

Leo, our apple head chi's breeder was well researched and is anything but a puppy mill breeder. She produces gorgeous winning show dogs. But in contrast, for whatever reason, Leo seems to have the most health issues. He's been diagnosed with IBS. While I hear that is common in chi's I've never had a chi that had it before.

I don't think it makes a difference if they are a rescue or purebred as long as you get them as young as possible. Please post again when you make some decisions. It would be nice to see your new pup. Best of luck to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts